GFCI for 240 V

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm working on an old system that uses 240V control wiring. Since the wiring runs through several user panels, I would like to protect it with a GFCI. But I have not been able to find a 240V GFCI.

There are no 120V loads connected, so the current flowing in the phase conductors should be equal until a ground fault occurs. Seems there should be such a device--same as a 120V phase/neutral GFCI, except that it should open both phase legs when a fault is detected.

Any help on how to find this (or why it doesn't exist) will be appreciated!

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately a breaker GFCI is not easy to install, as there are no breakers in the circuit (old, fuses) and no load center.

Is there a self-contained or box mountable GFCI for 240V similar to 120V?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Buy one of these and a 2-pole CB. They're only 12 bucks:

778fcddc-298f-4165-ac58-e957a6d47084_300.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

The Home Depot panel is a good idea. Had hoped to make it a smaller project, but you are probably right--should just replace the existing fuse box. Once the cost of the breaker ($150-ouch), conduit, etc. is included, it is no longer a trivial project!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I'm working on an old system that uses 240V control wiring. Since the wiring runs through several user panels, I would like to protect it with a GFCI. But I have not been able to find a 240V GFCI.

There are no 120V loads connected, so the current flowing in the phase conductors should be equal until a ground fault occurs. Seems there should be such a device--same as a 120V phase/neutral GFCI, except that it should open both phase legs when a fault is detected.

Any help on how to find this (or why it doesn't exist) will be appreciated!

I don't know why you are bothering with gfci protection for these circuits- it doesn't make any sense.

How is there any more likelihood of shock hazard then any other circuits in panels, etc.

Perhaps you are trying to be helpful by advising against over-protection and wasted effort, thanks for that contribution. But the motivation for this thread is that it makes sense to protect these circuits, otherwise there would be no point to asking the original question.

iwire

Staff member
Perhaps you are trying to be helpful by advising against over-protection and wasted effort, thanks for that contribution. But the motivation for this thread is that it makes sense to protect these circuits, otherwise there would be no point to asking the original question.

I am a huge supporter of GFCIs, that said I would not even consider adding GFCIs to the circuits you are talking about.

What happens if the control circuit goes out?

Why are people violating OSHA rules working near exposed live parts?

What you propose is very unusual, that does not mean it must be better.

iwire

Staff member
I think you are splitting hairs--GFCI devices do provide protection against electric shock hazards.

You will receive a heck of a shock from a GFCI protected circuit before it opens the circuit. The only thing a GFCI is limit the duration of the shock, not the magnitude.

That is not splitting hairs that is a fact.

It would make much more sense to start using safer work practices as required by OSHA.

Status
Not open for further replies.