Cleaning prescription and/or safety glasses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyoligist2

What do you use? I sweat a lot and it drips on my glasses. My company supplies some moist wipe cleaning pads ( I forgot the brand) but they don't do a very good job and scratch plastic lens. We have complained and they are wanting suggestions for a better product.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
What do you use? I sweat a lot and it drips on my glasses. My company supplies some moist wipe cleaning pads ( I forgot the brand) but they don't do a very good job and scratch plastic lens. We have complained and they are wanting suggestions for a better product.

soap and water, drying with a paper towel works very well.

i always keep a can of sprayway glass cleaner on the truck. it'll work
well, and doesn't contain ammonia, which will cause crazing cracks on
some plastics.used to be you needed to go to a glass supply to get
it, but costco now sells it, along with other places.

it's also good for cleaning things in general.

mivey

First line of defense: sweatband

I use wipes from Walgreens, CVS, or whoever has them on sale. All are about the same. Buy in bulk. Ocassionally I get the urge to try some fog-free spray I keep in my vehicle (usually winter). For gritty dirt, rinse with water, blow off water, use wipe.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
All wipes technically scratch the surface, the trick is to minimize it, i.e. the tiniest scratches are imperceptible. What they are now calling "microfiber" cloth is best, followed by CLEAN cotton. I have a microfiber cleaning cloth and some spray-on alcohol based cleaner that I keep in the glasses case, works great but 90% of the time when I need to clean them, the case is nowhere near. When that's not available, an old all cotton t-shirt and the little bit of moisture in your breath works as a great 2nd choice.

If someone else is picking up the tab, these are great. They are made for professional photographers, but work well for glasses too.

Back to the scratching issue though, almost all paper based products are terrible for cleaning glasses. Wood fibers are silica based, just like sand...

renosteinke

Ordinary paper towels seem to scratch plastic lenses, leading to their becoming 'cloudy' over time.

Ordinary toilet paper - the non-scented kind - does not seem to have this problem.

Ordinary glass cleaner (usually alcohol based) also works quite well. I suspect that the alcohol-based contact cleaners (the ones that say 'Danger! Flammable!') will work well.

There are a variety of pre-packaged towellettes, intended for cleaning your computer screen, that work well. So do the alcohol wipes kept in first-aid kits.

Scented toilet paper, or cotton cloths that have been washed using a fabric softener, leave a film on the lenses. Do without the fabric softener, and a simple cotton T-shirt is a great wipe.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I used to manufacture eye glass lenses for a living. I also dabble in photography.

NEVER use paper towel or any paper product on plastic lenses or glass lenses with a coating. If you don't know if your glass lenses are coated or not, don't use paper.

The best cleaning solution is dish soap and water.

The best cloth is old white 100 percent cotton T-shirts. At the lab we used white cotton rags and they were always washed in a dedicated machine.

Photographers will search until they find a shirt that has been washed enough to disloge most of the lint, but not so old that the cotton is breaking down to form more lint. For use on eyeglasses, a totally lint free cloth is not essential.

One caveat on microfiber cloths. Stuff that can make scratches will stick to them and will not come off by washing. The dryer makes things worse by setting them in. I found this out the hard way on the tank of my just painted Harley Davidson. Lucky for me it was just some bits of plastic, but it did scratch the finish to the point of having to be polished again. If metal filings get in them I can assure you they won't wash off and they will scratch anything you try to clean.

I only use microfiber cloths to polish stuff when they are brand new. Once they are used and washed they become regular old rags. At least with cotton shirts if any contaminants remain, they are visible. Not so with microfiber, they get just below the surface and can't be seen.

hockeyoligist2

I use soap and water with a cotton T if I can. However, most of the time I'm a long way from clean water, plenty of non-potable...... I work for the sewer company.

They used to buy bausch and lomb kits with the spray bottle which worked very well, but they decided that they were too expensive. Probably because they were over used due to damage in tool boxes and taking them home, giving to friends and family, ETC.

I never abused but lost quiet a few due to damage, coworkers getting in to my truck before I could get it off of the seat. They will sit on my Fluke, tool pouch, parts, too....

I guess I'll ask them to get the bausch and lomb kits back. I got a clean spray bottle with water and vinegar and a clean T that I'm using now, but winter is coming on and it will freeze!

Status
Not open for further replies.