2009 Ibc smoke detector requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhfire77

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to the smoke detector requirements are for group F-2 occupancy?

Actually, is there a list somewhere for all types or do I just have to read line by line.

ron

SECTION 907 FIRE ALARM AND DETECTION SYSTEMS
907.2 Where required-new buildings and structures.
907.2.4 Group F. A manual fire alarm system that activates the occupant notification system in accordance with Section 907.5 shall be installed in Group F occupancies where both of the following conditions exist:
1. The Group F occupancy is two or more stories in height; and
2. The Group F occupancy has a combined occupant load of 500 or more above or below the lowest level of exit discharge.

Exception: Manual fire alarm boxes are not required where the building is equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system installed in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1 and the occupant notification appliances will activate throughout the notification zones upon sprinkler waterflow.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
SECTION 907 FIRE ALARM AND DETECTION SYSTEMS
907.2 Where required-new buildings and structures.
907.2.4 Group F. A manual fire alarm system that activates the occupant notification system in accordance with Section 907.5 shall be installed in Group F occupancies where both of the following conditions exist:
1. The Group F occupancy is two or more stories in height; and
2. The Group F occupancy has a combined occupant load of 500 or more above or below the lowest level of exit discharge.

Exception: Manual fire alarm boxes are not required where the building is equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system installed in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1 and the occupant notification appliances will activate throughout the notification zones upon sprinkler waterflow.

Please note, only a manual system is required; smoke detectors are not required. You may need a pretty beefy system to accomplish notification, but it's actually amazing to see how little is required in the various occupancies by the IBC, local amemendments not withstanding. Usually it's the insurance company that drives the automatic devices where they are not otherwise required.

nhfire77

Please note, only a manual system is required; smoke detectors are not required. You may need a pretty beefy system to accomplish notification, but it's actually amazing to see how little is required in the various occupancies by the IBC, local amemendments not withstanding. Usually it's the insurance company that drives the automatic devices where they are not otherwise required.

That's what I am wrapping my brain around right now. I am trying to understand how NFPA 1 and 101 along with the IBC, work in applying when smokes are needed. Specifically in a fully sprinkled building.

Anyone have any links they might share on the subject?

Status
Not open for further replies.