Feed brach circuits through fire rated wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

anbm

Building A and B is separated by 2 hour fire rated wall.
Can we feed the branch circuits (20A) in building B from an electrical panel in builing A? (the branch circuits will run through fire rated wall). Building A and B belong to the same owner.

MarkyMarkNC

Most MC cable now comes with a tag that specifically says "UL listed for use in 1, 2, and 3 hour through penetration fire stop systems."

EMT is also listed as part of several different fire penetration systems.

raider1

Staff member
Are you sure that there are truely separate buildings?

Most firewalls that are used to separate 2 buildings are rated more than 2 hours.

What type of occupancy does each building have?

Chris

anbm

Class B building, I guess my question is will the code allow to have more than one circuits passing from building B to A... even both buildings belong same owner.

Hendrix

Class B building, I guess my question is will the code allow to have more than one circuits passing from building B to A... even both buildings belong same owner.
If they each have their own , seperate electrical services, I don't think that you can do it.

anbm

One service feeds building A (main building), building A feeds building B by a single feeder. However, instead of feeding some branch circuits in building B from a panel in that building, contractor propose to feed them from a panel in building A because it is closer (and through fire rated wall). Will this be okay with NEC? I am not sure...

Status
Not open for further replies.