New Home EC Pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.

markstg

Hi guys,

I would like to get your comments: When you price the EC work for the builder of a new home would your price be less than if you bid it direct to a home owner who is acting as his own GC?

growler

When you price the EC work for the builder of a new home would your price be less than if you bid it direct to a home owner who is acting as his own GC?

Normally it would. If it's a builder that you have worked for before then you have a better idea of what to expect.

With a homeowner everything is custom, I don't care what they say. Most homeowners don't have the slighest idea of what they are doing other than just to hire tradesmen. They don't have the time nor the knowledge to actually run a job or plan a job out.

jumper

Most homeowners don't have the slighest idea of what they are doing other than just to hire tradesmen. They don't have the time nor the knowledge to actually run a job or plan a job out.

I agree. I have worked on a few projects where The HO was the GC and they were all terrible. No coordination at all.

I always wondered if the boss made any money after all the screw ups and delays.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I agree. I have worked on a few projects where The HO was the GC and they were all terrible. No coordination at all.

I always wondered if the boss made any money after all the screw ups and delays.

Hopefully he was charging extra for all the changes:)

wireguy8169

Absolutely, I am doing a job right now that the HO is her own GC, she does have one builder who now after they have been on the project for sometime is taking more of the load off of her as she realzes its not a good idea. Anyhow, the job is taking at least 3 times as long as it would normally. If it wasnt T&M I would be paying to do it for her if I bid it as I would an average build.

ceb58

Normally it would. If it's a builder that you have worked for before then you have a better idea of what to expect.

With a homeowner everything is custom, I don't care what they say. Most homeowners don't have the slighest idea of what they are doing other than just to hire tradesmen. They don't have the time nor the knowledge to actually run a job or plan a job out.

That is a true statement. I bid a job where the HO was going to be the GC. I could tell that she had no clue and sucker written all over her. She went with a guy that was cheaper but was working under someone else's lisence. Last I heard she had ran out of money from delays due to coordination, change orders and subs just screwing over her. The house is only about 80% complete.
On the other hand I did one for a retired Dr. He and his wife had built 7 houses over the years and knew exactly what they were doing. After rough-in we walked it over and they started on the changes and addons. Every so often he would look at me and go "cha ching" I would smile and say yes. There were a lot of changes and addons but after the drywall went up that was it. They knew what they wanted and where. He payed in cash and would call me up to see if I needed money before agreed on payment schedule. Customers you dream about.

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
HOs being GCs are trouble!
Without the benefit of experience the scheduling and sequence of the work is usually poorly planned.

IE, new floors in BEFORE the wiring is done!

Counter tops & cabinets in BEFORE the wiring for the kitchen is done.

Without the experience, they need coaching and explaining just to maintain a workable schedule.
The many 30 min shows that have new kitchens/baths/2nd stories done in one episode breeds lots of HOs wearing GC hats.

Status
Not open for further replies.