generator trans switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

donselectric

hi all,
i have a job where the customer has a listed ch trans switch with a 100a and 60a breaker interlocked so they cant be on together. my question is can the 100a be used as the service disconnect or do i need one in front of it.
i was going to pull the feed from the existing pnl and rout it to the trans then back to existing pnl and the 60 would be from the gen..

thanks

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Typically, the service disconnecting means must meet several different requirements in regards to the neutral and ground, and their bonding.

Is your transfer switch marked "Suitable for Use as Service Equipment" or "Suitable Only for Use as Service Equipment"?

donselectric

its a reliance cat# tca1006d looks like a cutler hammer old style
says in fine print se rated if not more than 2 mains ? or 6 breakers
or something to that effect..so i guess i can use it as the service disco
to feed the original panel ? :confused:

jwelectric

No that is not suitable as service rated transfer switch.

UL states that in order for the transfer switch to be rated as service equipment it must have an absolute off. In other words the utility and the generator can be turned off at the same time.
I don?t think this panel can be turned completely off.

jumper

No that is not suitable as service rated transfer switch.

UL states that in order for the transfer switch to be rated as service equipment it must have an absolute off. In other words the utility and the generator can be turned off at the same time.
I don?t think this panel can be turned completely off.

Look at the bracket between the breakers closely, the fat part in between insures that if turn one breaker on it pushes the other off; however, the skinny outside ends allow you to turn both breakers off.

TCA20indoor.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.