Systems Category

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhfire77

Signaling would not correct, IMO. The 2010 fire alarm code (which does not cover those items listed) is called:

NFPA 72: National Fire Alarm and Signaling Code

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
In my world, electrical design is separated into two disciplines: Power and Systems. The term "systems" covers phone, data, alarm, and signalling. I did have one client who insisted on separating "communciations" (i.e., phone and data) from all other "systems," and required us to publish them on separate drawings.

mivey

In my world, electrical design is separated into two disciplines: Power and Systems. The term "systems" covers phone, data, alarm, and signalling. I did have one client who insisted on separating "communciations" (i.e., phone and data) from all other "systems," and required us to publish them on separate drawings.
Then what about us poor folks that design "Power Systems"? I guess we are destined to remain undisciplined? :grin:

tryinghard

I think systems works great if already in the electrical/electronic mindset but what if it?s included with all disciplines like mechanical, structural? This particular case is for a data base info hierarchy that will include all systems for multiple compounds. I think systems could be a sub category; so it really does work.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I think we really need to know where this question is coming from in order to answer it. Is it a test question or job specs or what? Sounds like a test question to me and if so what are the choices?

-Hal

mivey

I think we really need to know where this question is coming from in order to answer it. Is it a test question or job specs or what? Sounds like a test question to me and if so what are the choices?

-Hal
A) Answer
B) Don't Answer
C) Ask for clarification
D) Run from the exam room screaming & crying.

:grin:

Stallzer

Phone, Data, Fiber = Telecommunications
SCADA = exactly what it is, Software control and Data acquisition.
Radio = RF

I think systems works great if already in the electrical/electronic mindset but what if it?s included with all disciplines like mechanical, structural? This particular case is for a data base info hierarchy that will include all systems for multiple compounds. I think systems could be a sub category; so it really does work.

In my design world, my plans generally have power, phone, and data on the same sheet. Fire/security goes on special systems. There is some bleed over with phone/data onto special systems if the port is directly associated with something that only shows on the systems plan, which is rare for me.

usually System Control and Data Acquisition.

It's not a type of wiring or communication; it's a control system, usually embodying computer(s), which can use wired or wireless communications to interface with sensors and actuator systems.

It can be that. Sometimes it's just used to read in and display data from many sensor sources.

tryinghard

Well, if you look at the CSI Master Format and then at Division 16, Electrical, most of what you list is broken out under Communications (16700) as it should be. http://www.constructionnotebook.com/ipin2/CSIDivisions.asp

And Charlie, when are architects and engineers going to finally admit that the Master Format has been changed and start using the new version?

-Hal

Hal, thanks for the site of the Construction Specifications Institute's codes & divisions. This would be best to follow.

Stallzer

usually System Control and Data Acquisition.

It's not a type of wiring or communication; it's a control system, usually embodying computer(s), which can use wired or wireless communications to interface with sensors and actuator systems.

Actually it stands for Supervisory Control And Data Acquisition

Status
Not open for further replies.