Please confirm range circuit sizing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

Hello all,

I'm installing a circuit for a range/oven (older townhouse , my thinking is 240v). The numbers are close and has me a bit confused. Reading around in 210.19 , 210.23, and 220.19 but I'm still not coming up with the answer.

Manufacturer range/oven specs are: 120/240 or 120/208.
connected load kw rating @ 240/208 is 13.2kw/9.9kw
amps @ 240/208 is 55/48
recommended circuit breaker is 50a

I picked up 6/3 nm-b (55a) and a 60 amp breaker.
Should I up the wire to 4's and use the 60a? Use the 6's on the 60a, or use the 6's on a 50a?

Thanks for the help,

Rich

ritelec

Thanks for the reply Dennis.

Wiring method... romex, nm.... yes residential..... townhouse.

The 50 amp breaker should be fine with the 6/3. But, should the 50 amp breaker and the 6/3 be good with the 13.2 kw oven?

Thanks again.

ritelec

By the way, like your icon. You play music? If you do and your ever in Jersey , I've got a small project studio..... give me a buzz.

OK.... back to construction. What size circuit for this oven?

Thanks.

raider1

Staff member
Thanks for the reply Dennis.

Wiring method... romex, nm.... yes residential..... townhouse.

The 50 amp breaker should be fine with the 6/3. But, should the 50 amp breaker and the 6/3 be good with the 13.2 kw oven?

Thanks again.

Yes, the 50 amp circuit breaker will be fine with a 13.2 kw oven. Remember that you will never have the full 13.2 kw on at the same time.

Chris

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
By the way, like your icon. You play music? If you do and your ever in Jersey , I've got a small project studio..... give me a buzz.
Thanks.

Sorry not a musician. Chris (raider) who responded to you also is a head banging rocker.

As chris said 50 amp cir. is fine. I am not certain but I believe it would not be legal to install a 60 on a 50 amp receptacle outlet. 210.21(B)(3) & 210.23(C)

ritelec

Thank you.

I figured if there was a problem with any tripping I could put it on the 60 (that next higher breaker rule if the wires rated at 55a). But I was questioning the unit rating at 55a. Did that put me at a larger circuit? I'll put it on the 50a. There is an inspection and quite a bit of cutting for this run so I really don't want to have to go back and do it again. I also don't think it's coming with a chord. I'll be hard wiring it. For grins, the 6's on a 50 are going in but, what is the proper conductor and breaker rating as per "by the book" calculations?

13.2kw @240v @55 amps?

Thanks again!

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
First, what exactly is the equipment? A range (oven and cooktop combination), separate oven(s) and a cooktop, or something else?

If it is a range or up to two ovens and a cooktop, you can wire per 220.55 Column 3 and adhering to notes 1 and 4.

This would be: 13.2 KW - 12KW = 1.2 KW.
This rounds to 1 KW which means increase the demand in 220.55 column C by 5%.

Column C is 8 KW. Adding 5% is 8.4 KW
8400 / 240 = 35 amps.

A 40A branch circuit would be permissible for this range. A 50A will be plenty. This is why almost every new house only has a 40A range circuit.

hurk27

Thank you.

I figured if there was a problem with any tripping I could put it on the 60 (that next higher breaker rule if the wires rated at 55a). But I was questioning the unit rating at 55a. Did that put me at a larger circuit? I'll put it on the 50a. There is an inspection and quite a bit of cutting for this run so I really don't want to have to go back and do it again. I also don't think it's coming with a chord. I'll be hard wiring it. For grins, the 6's on a 50 are going in but, what is the proper conductor and breaker rating as per "by the book" calculations?

13.2kw @240v @55 amps?

Thanks again!

you might want to take a look at 422.30 and especially 422.33(B)

Status
Not open for further replies.