Panel lock out vs. tran. switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone had any expeience with the bolt on panel cover lockout kits vs. a transfer switch when using a generator at a residence? Thoughts, concerns?

raider1

Staff member
Please excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by "the bolt on panel cover lockout kits" in regards to using a generator at a residence?

Chris

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
No experience with them, but I am aware that the manufacturers make a interlock that can be used to not allow a backfed breaker to be turned on until the main is off.

One concern is that the interlock can be defeated by removing the interlock (which I think requires removal of the panel cover.)

From the square D website:

Standby Power Kit for Load Centers​
These kits install on existing Square D QO and
Homeline Load Center covers and interlock the main
circuit breaker with a 125 A maximum breaker back-fed
from the generator. Up to 30 kW of generator power is
available to all the circuits in the load center, allowing
the user flexibility of selecting and changing which
circuits are to be powered during an outage. These
mechanical interlocks prevent the dangerous situation
of back-feeding power onto the utility lines by
preventing the main breaker and the breaker fed from
the generator from being “ON” at the same time. Kits
are available for indoor and outdoor main breaker load​
centers 100 A through 225 A.

Steve

Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
To go along with Steves post, he may be talking about these

Roger

It is in fact the one in Rogers link, I wasn't sure if it was ok to post the exact make and model. I was thinking this would be cheaper, faster and leave the customer with more flexibility than a transfer switch. I was having concerns about what can happen though if some one removes the cover.

Jim W in Tampa

It is in fact the one in Rogers link, I wasn't sure if it was ok to post the exact make and model. I was thinking this would be cheaper, faster and leave the customer with more flexibility than a transfer switch. I was having concerns about what can happen though if some one removes the cover.

Other than not as fast as 1 switch it is a very good way to do this.
I made my own for my CH panel and works fine. Very seldom needed but ready to go.
Also converted my gen from gasoline to propayne so it is ready to without worry of fresh gas.

ceb58

You can only do what is requried. You cannot prevent stupid. As soon as you think it is idiot proof, they make a better idiot.

360Youth

I have used them several times. IMO, they are the best route for manual configuration. Of the ones I have installed, CH is the easiest. It is the most expensive that we have bought, but it comes fully assembled (just replace the cover as opposed to the add-ons), which saves on the labor of installing the lock-out onto an existing cover.

360Youth

I was thinking this would be cheaper, faster and leave the customer with more flexibility than a transfer switch.

It offers the same flexibility. Customer still has to load shed the circuits, unless the generator can run the entire load, which at the point, and cost, an ATS might as well be put in. As iwire said earlier, it is the less expensive route.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician

I think it comes down to knowing where you're comfortable drawing the line. I'd install one and wouldn't give it a second thought because I feel the same way CEB does.

Jim W in Tampa

I made by own and it works with or without the cover on. Used a dummy 2 pole breaker to hold a sleeve for a rod that moves up or down. Panel is CH with horizontal breakers.
Works perfect and cost be less than $5 and one unneeded 2 pole used breaker.

Take a good look at what they are selling for $150, that must have cost $1 to make.
If it saves a linesman life it is worth far more. Have had too many so called electricians that backfeed with dryer plugs and all say same thing about they know what they are doing.

360Youth

It offers the same flexibility.

I was thinking of the pre-assembled TS that are hard wired and are the only circuits the customer could use. With one of these lok outs, they can select any ckts they want at different times as long as they don't overload the gen.

Not a big fan of those switches. One of our more recent interlock kits was sold on the basis that we talked him out of the prewired MTS in favor of the interlock. I get where you are coming from on the preselected circuits, though. Sometimes you have to sell what is most comfortable for a particular customer.

Jim W in Tampa

If power goes out i want the ability to operate any loads i want. Limitations are the size of the gen. I might only want to be able to have a night light on a circuit. Just because its a lot of breakers does not mean high load. Main purpose for me is living in a huricane area and knowing it could take a couple weeks to get power back. This is a cheap solution. In the 11 years i been here longest outage was 4 hours.

electricmanscott

I've installed dozens of inter lock kits. Great product and great customer service. Much better option than a gen-tran panel.

If the panel is not that old you might be able to get a manufacturer made one. If not inter lock kit.com is the balls. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.