C1D2 boundry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Pike

I have a C1D2 classification for a pump station of 18''above and 3' from the station edge.

Question,as long as I'm above the 18'' and my conduits conform to 501.15(b)(2)exception 1, I would not need a seal even though I'm within 2' of the station edge if I install my trough at a height of 30''.

Ex:conduit that contains no unions,couplings,boxes,or fittings,and passes completely through a C1D2 with no fittings less that 12'' beyond the boundry shall not be required to be sealed.

Thanks,I'm just making sure I'm correct.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I have a C1D2 classification for a pump station of 18''above and 3' from the station edge.

Question,as long as I'm above the 18'' and my conduits conform to 501.15(b)(2)exception 1, I would not need a seal even though I'm within 2' of the station edge if I install my trough at a height of 30''.

Ex:conduit that contains no unions,couplings,boxes,or fittings,and passes completely through a C1D2 with no fittings less that 12'' beyond the boundry shall not be required to be sealed.

Thanks,I'm just making sure I'm correct.
As I understand your description, your conduit is entirely out of the classified location. The fact that the conduit is above the classified location is usually irrelevant. A few applications may warrant consideration of equipment above a classified location, but this isn’t one of them as I understand your description. So, if I do understand you correctly, there are no boundary seals needed, the Exception doesn’t need to be applied, and you are OK.

Al Pike

Thank you,I was worried about the 3' radius off the station.Am I correct that I need to extend the trough and conduits to 12in above the barrier? or can they be mounted just above the 18in requirement.
Thanks again.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Thank you,I was worried about the 3' radius off the station.Am I correct that I need to extend the trough and conduits to 12in above the barrier? or can they be mounted just above the 18in requirement.
Thanks again.
Once the electrical area classification boundaries are properly defined, the rules in Articles 500 to 516 do not generally apply to anything outside the classified location - even if they were literally "sitting on top" or "adjacent to" but not actually in the classified location. As I mentioned, there are a few cases that may affect equipment outside the classified location, but it is not one described.

Status
Not open for further replies.