Cable pulled through a pole

Status
Not open for further replies.

wxstevens

I need to pull a video & power cable through a 3 &1/2" rigid pipe that is 25 feet tall to an area 75' away. The pole is being used to hold a camera. I don't have a lift, don't want to pull cable from a ladder and can't lay the pole down. Any ideas? I was thinking of a pulley attached to the top but don't know if something exists. Any ideas appreciated.

nhfire77

A 19' foot scissor lift for 24 hours with delivery and pick up around here is about $275. For a week its about $400. Think of the money as saving you hours (time=money) of headaches.

If you are the one putting the camera on the pole, you will need a lift to do it anyway.

iwire

Staff member
A 19' foot scissor lift for 24 hours with delivery and pick up around here is about $275. For a week its about $400. Think of the money as saving you hours (time=money) of headaches.

I agree but be careful with the 19' narrows at outside poles.

It does not take much of an incline to make it dangerous.

wxstevens

If it were at the prison, yes, I could stack inmates up like stairs and walk up but it's an outside job I'm doing on the side. You know the story, shoe-string budget, do more with less....

480sparky

So 'doing a job on the side' means forgoing the safe way to do it, as well as the most economical?

Sometimes you gotta spend money to make money.

growler

If it were at the prison, yes, I could stack inmates up like stairs and walk up but it's an outside job I'm doing on the side. You know the story, shoe-string budget, do more with less....

Didn't say a thing about foregoing safety. I was asking of ideas to do it in leu of a lift. Thanks.

The cheapest and safest thing to do is call around and see who has a bucket truck and would come by for a couple of hours. I think you may get that even cheaper than a lift.

220/221

Simply push a long fish tape up thru the hand hole. It will pop out the top and eventually come back to the ground. Attach your cable and pull the tape out/cable in. It might take some finesse but it will work.

I don't know how you will terminate the cable or mount the camera but you only asked about pulling the cable into the pole. ;)

wireguru

ive got it: (you should get paid in advance to do this)

step 1: back your truck into the pole and knock it over.
step 2: Mount the camera and install the wire.
step 3: let someone's insurance company deal with putting the pole back up.

.......profit

Status
Not open for further replies.