Nec 210.4b

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strife

Am i reading this correctly?
Are all circuits sharing a neutral supposed to have a common trip breaker?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Am i reading this correctly?
Are all circuits sharing a neutral supposed to have a common trip breaker?

No, they do not have to have a common trip, they do have to have a means to open all the legs or phases simultaneously, this could be handle ties.

Roger

Strife

No, they do not have to have a common trip, they do have to have a means to open all the legs or phases simultaneously, this could be handle ties.

Roger

Isn't that what common trip actually means? I know some refer to common trip strictly in regards to the multipole breakers. Not sure who's right but to me common trip would mean something that trips all items in COMMON?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Isn't that what common trip actually means? I know some refer to common trip strictly in regards to the multipole breakers. Not sure who's right but to me common trip would mean something that trips all items in COMMON?
Yes, a common trip will open all ungrounded conductors. The responses were to let you know that it can also be handle ties on single pole breakers which are not common trip.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

No, opening all poles manually and common trip are different operations and the latter is not required. Many people think the article requires a breaker that is common trip but it is not the case. Using handle ties might trip more than one pole but it may also not trip more than one pole and it would still be legal.

Roger

glene77is

No, opening all poles manually and common trip are different operations and the latter is not required. Many people think the article requires a breaker that is common trip but it is not the case. Using handle ties might trip more than one pole but it may also not trip more than one pole and it would still be legal.

Roger

Roger,

This is the NEC quote from 210.4.B that confirms you response
"...that will simultaneously disconnect..."

New EE

I have an existing panelboard that we are now required to be in compliant with 210.4b. The supplier is telling me that they don't make handle ties for 3 individual 1P20A breakers. Is this true?

If this is true and you have a junction box with 3 circuits (sharing the same neutral) homerunning back to the panel, how can we meet 210.4b then?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have an existing panelboard that we are now required to be in compliant with 210.4b. The supplier is telling me that they don't make handle ties for 3 individual 1P20A breakers. Is this true?

If this is true and you have a junction box with 3 circuits (sharing the same neutral) homerunning back to the panel, how can we meet 210.4b then?

I know that Ge makes them and I am sure other manufacturers make them. Tell the supply guys to double check.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Square D does have them for three QO breakers (look on page 3) and it is a much better design than the ones they sell for two breakers.

This is what was said not my personal knowledge. The inspector teaching the class said that he spoke with the head of SD. Again heard it last night and have not verified his comment. May I add that he would not say something that he did not know as a fact for fear of egg on his face.

The subject came up because of multi-wired circuits using single breakers.

I will look at the links. I should have before I posted.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
Trying to understand 210.4(B). Does the QO1HT independent trip meet this requirement?

Mike, the QO1HT handle tie (which creates an independent trip 2-pole c/b) would meet the requirements of 210.4(B).

Or the QO3HT handle tie could be used for an independent trip 3-pole c/b, also meeting the requirements of 210.4(B).

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
But it say simultaneously. Does the independent trip do this?

210.4(B) says "Disconnecting means" not "overcurrent protection."

The handle tie (QO1HT) will ensure that the two circuit breakers of the MWBC will be opened at the same time when the circuit is "disconnected".

If, for example, one of the single pole c/bs tied together trips on overload, 240.4(B) does not require that the other single pole c/b trip at the same time. This is the point Curt & Roger made in posts 2 & 3.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
A 2- or 3-pole breaker will open all poles upon overload or fault, even with the handle tie removed. An added handle tie is for simultaneous manual operation.

While an added handle tie may allow one pole's automatic opening to cause the other(s) to open, it's not required to.

Status
Not open for further replies.