Modular home wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvirgil467

Question about wiring methods for modular homes and "plug n play" connectors:

A manufacturer plans on providing junction boxes with plug n play connectors for future expansion. If a new modular section is added the sub feeder for the new added section would "plug" into the junction box's plug n play connector.

Anyone know if plug and play connectors can be used in this type of application for feeders?

Thanks.
C

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Question about wiring methods for modular homes and "plug n play" connectors:

A manufacturer plans on providing junction boxes with plug n play connectors for future expansion. If a new modular section is added the sub feeder for the new added section would "plug" into the junction box's plug n play connector.

Anyone know if plug and play connectors can be used in this type of application for feeders?

Thanks.
C

look at article 550 NEC 2008:)

pfalcon

550 doesn't address modularity.

I believe the OP is describing a scenario like:

A modular 2-bedroom home complete. Owner decides to add a third bedroom. OEM strips off the outside finishing of the appropriate wall, trucks a new modular bedroom into place, plugs it in, refinishes the outside.

Presumably the "New Bedroom" has a sub-feeder box that has the breakers and all for the new bedroom circuits (outlets and lights).

The modular home would have boxes located in every wall where an expansion is allowed. A 100A cable would plug between the wall box in the original home to the sub-feeder in the new module.

cvirgil467

pfalcon, that's a good scenario. Is there anything in the code that would not allow the plug and play electrical connection for the new sub feeder to the bedroom panel back into a wall box in the existing modular unit?

Thanks.
c

construct

Manufactured homes have there own set of rules.

I agree with that statement.

In 1976 HUD inacted regulations to govern the construction of manufactured homes called the "Manufactured Housing Safety Standards Act". As of July of 1976, they were no longer called Mobile Homes and were then called Manufactured Homes. However, a Modular Home is a little different animal, eventhough they are both built in a factory. I can't speak for other states, but in my state, a Modular Home must comply with a Model Building Code, whether the jurisdiction they are manufactured in has adopted one or not. FYI: The main visual difference between the two is the chassis/frame on a Manufactured Home is part of the home. A Modular Home is merely hauled in on a frame and axles then lifted off and and set on a permanent foundation.

ceb58

pfalcon, that's a good scenario. Is there anything in the code that would not allow the plug and play electrical connection for the new sub feeder to the bedroom panel back into a wall box in the existing modular unit?

Thanks.
c

If the addition was a modular unit built to be attached to the existing modular unit with the plug in cross overs then this would not be a NEC issue. The only thing I have ever seen concerning the cross over connections was when the local inspectors inspected the foundation and tie downs was they requried a licensed elect. contractor to do the plug In's. Aside from installing the service or circs for HVAC,well pump and such.

cvirgil467

so the way i understand it:

1. modular homes are not regulated by HUD but are required to meet the respective State's building code.

If modular homes are required to meet the State's building code, are plat and play connectors for feeders and branch circuits allowed? Article 550 isn't forth coming with a direct answer. In addition, i thought all wiring within a building needed to be "permanent" per other sections of the NEC.

c

sweetcav

A true modular home is built to the same standards as a stick built home and must conform to all local building codes. They are designed to be set upon a permenant foundation and once erected to never be moved. A manufactured home ( doublewide, singlewide, triplewide,"trailer" ) are built to the HUD code wich uses the 2005 NEC as reference with amendments to the AFCI. They are designed to be a moveable structure. I could show pictures of both that you could never tell they weren't stick built houses.

Jim W in Tampa

A true modular home is built to the same standards as a stick built home and must conform to all local building codes. They are designed to be set upon a permenant foundation and once erected to never be moved. A manufactured home ( doublewide, singlewide, triplewide,"trailer" ) are built to the HUD code wich uses the 2005 NEC as reference with amendments to the AFCI. They are designed to be a moveable structure. I could show pictures of both that you could never tell they weren't stick built houses.
Some do look good but still a very poor investment. They will pay higher interest and insurance and unlike real homes will not go up in value. Many banks will not touch them.

sweetcav

A modular once set is considered the same as a stick built house, Just built quicker and more eficently than stick built. People need to get the stigma of just since it was built in a factory that it is inferior to a stick built. Your Work truck was built in a factory by people who do it everyday not in your back buy some laborers that you found on the corner.

Jim W in Tampa

A modular once set is considered the same as a stick built house, Just built quicker and more eficently than stick built. People need to get the stigma of just since it was built in a factory that it is inferior to a stick built. Your Work truck was built in a factory by people who do it everyday not in your back buy some laborers that you found on the corner.

Believe what you want but fact is they have lower values just ask your bank. Sister in law almost bought one bank would not go for it

cvirgil467

All good replies, but can anyone answer the question if plug and play connections are allowed in modular built homes in the scenario described?

Thanks.
c

hurk27

All good replies, but can anyone answer the question if plug and play connections are allowed in modular built homes in the scenario described?

Thanks.
c

If this home was UL listed as a package deal then this is a question that only the manufacture can answer, about 50 miles east of me is one of the largest areas of manufactures of single wide, double wide HUD manufactured, and UL listed modular home manufactures (not to mention RV's) in the country, I have done everything from total installs to many different kinds of hook ups to these homes, The main difference between a UL listed modular and a HUD manufacture is the rules they are under, a HUD home will have a red plate attached to the outside of it, as was said the frames stay with it, while a modular will have a UL listing sticker at or by the main breaker panel, and the frame goes back to the factory, another this that is common is the outside walls of a modular are the same as a stick built 8' while a HUD manufactured home are only 7'.

Here in Indiana a UL listed modular is treated in the same fashion as a HUD home, if it carries the UL label its hands off to an inspector (except the field wiring such as services)

This is why I said you must contact the manufacture as they are the ones who will know what is in their UL listing, when I find code defiances, we report them directly to UL so they can make corrections with the manufactures and get them into compliance, if a HUD home has code defiances, we report them to HUD.

The plug in quick connects are part of the listing of both types of homes, and have been in use for the last 10 years around here, the only suggestion I have is to use a good dielectric grease on the connection to seal out moisture, in doing this I have yet to ever have one fail, these quick connects are UL listed in all the ones I have seen.

I will try to find my PDF from UL on modulars and post it, I have all HUD's codes if needed just PM me.

Last edited:

Jim W in Tampa

In the above I was wrong It's not UL here in Indiana we have set up for the modular home to be inspected as ther are built in the factory, and have a State seal of inspection at the panel, each state will be differant, so heres a web site with phone numbers for each state:

Modular Homes Building Codes

I have always wondered how effective the inspections are. Do they have an inspector watching each and every step of home ? Or is this just a private inspection company paid to look the other way and just sign it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.