Mounting a outlet to steel pole

Status
Not open for further replies.

growler

It sure seems to me like it would be more helpful to answer the question asked.

Sure it would be more "helpfull" but where's the fun in that?

Short answer is "no" and then the thread ends but if we are allowed to give all sorts of un-asked for opinions we can keep this thread going for ever.

I think I have figured out how to make a pretty good looking bracket if anyone really wanted to go through all the trouble. Get a 4" two hole strap and a blank cover for 4 11/16 box. Drill holes in the cover to mount both the box and attach the two hole strap. A few 1/4" - 20 bolts, washer and nuts should work for hardware. Paint black ( or whatever to match pole ). If you want to get fancy you could drill and tap the cover for mounting studs.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I did see the comment. I just don't know why drilling the hole is an issue. I doubt it will hurt the integrity of it and with the right bits it is easy.

TMT-07-123032.jpg
Yes, I have a set of these bit/taps. I love them. But for some reason he didn't want to drill the beam. Maybe he has a paranoid landlord. I did lots of work at IBM. They didn't want any beams or columns drilled at all, didn't want MC cable, didn't want conduits hung bottom side of strut, didn't want this, insisted on that, etc. Maybe his landlord works for IBM.

cadpoint

Steel is a very beautiful product!

I don't understand this distaste or misunderstanding of not using the product!

With out getting into the great aspects of the phycial properties that this one material that can be demonstrated and is well documented, attach it!

But may I ...

In layman terms the use of this material gives one a min of 2 to 1 but more like a 4 to 1, if not greater, as a safety factor ratio.

I wouldn't have a problem with shooting a stud, spot welding, drilling a tech screw or self tapping.

I see it all the time that the metal stud framer will shoot their studs to structural members! Even as a design aspect Steel allows a lot of liberty that is well misunderstood. :D

Last edited:

tx2step

Who makes those bits/taps?

Who makes those bits/taps?

Yes, I have a set of these bit/taps. I love them. But for some reason he didn't want to drill the beam. Maybe he has a paranoid landlord. I did lots of work at IBM. They didn't want any beams or columns drilled at all, didn't want MC cable, didn't want conduits hung bottom side of strut, didn't want this, insisted on that, etc. Maybe his landlord works for IBM.

I haven't seen those combination bit/taps before, but they look pretty useful. Do they work pretty well & last pretty well? Who makes them, and where's a good place to get them?

cadpoint

I haven't seen those combination bit/taps before, but they look pretty useful. Do they work pretty well & last pretty well? Who makes them, and where's a good place to get them?

Not sure but the supplier can be found!

If you right click on the picture is will show the host of the picture, and not that their price is the best one.

At the bottom is the properties and I'm assuming Windows OP

Last edited:

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Mine are Greenlee from local supply house, I think Lowe's has them also.

Well I broke a few but thought at the time it was partly due to carelessness.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Mine are Greenlee from local supply house, I think Lowe's has them also.

Well I broke a few but thought at the time it was partly due to carelessness.

The kit I showed were from greenlee, in fact, I have not seen any other company that made them. I bet there is but I haven't seen any except greenlee.

They work very well and mine are going strong for years now--

cadpoint

The other day I tried your method on a pole, however, the pole had been poured full with concrete, so I went with plan B.

I'd of used a smaller older drill bit and sent it into the concrete... and then sent the tap :)

Besides a filled column will have a different tone...

Last edited:

tx2step

Greenlee... I shoulda known...

Greenlee... I shoulda known...

Greenlee...Thanks guys! I guess I need to look at all of Greenlee's current products instead of just looking for something in particular that I know they have. Seems like I've overlooked some good tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.