E-mail from my office.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Is there a standardized form used for this purpose?

Thanks.

Chris,
If you could send me something to put together for all employees to sign regarding safety J thank you!

480sparky

Here's what I would suggest:

I, the undersigned, currently an employee of _________ __________ Electric Company, do hereby swear and affirm that I will follow all company & OSHA safety policies at all times.

A furthermore swear and affirm that I will not complain about the release of Al from his position within the company.

A furthermore swear and affirm that I will transfer 15% of every paycheck to Chris Kennedy's bank account.

Signed, ____________________ Date: _____________

chris kennedy

Occupation
YOUR office sent YOU that? :roll:

Yeah, guess I'm the new safety guy, must have missed the memo.

Page 4 of this pdf is one that I've used in the past (daily for the GC)

http://www.tdi.state.tx.us/pubs/videoresource/stpjobsafetana.pdf

You may need to find one in Spanish

Thanks, I haven't responded to this yet by my guess is they are looking for something along the lines of;

I pledge not to stand on the top of ladders.
I pledge always to wear my seat belt.
I pledge not to shoot wire nuts out of conduit at my fellow employees.
ect.
ect.

walkerj

Thanks, I haven't responded to this yet by my guess is they are looking for something along the lines of;

I pledge not to stand on the top of ladders.
I pledge always to wear my seat belt.
I pledge not to shoot wire nuts out of conduit at my fellow employees.
ect.
ect.

You should stop ordering B-Caps and the wirenut shooting might become a little more work.
If you make a hole in the end and stick a piece of #12 in the end it gets real interesting:grin:

zog

Is there a standardized form used for this purpose?

Thanks.

How about, I (employee) have recieved all of the required OSHA and NFPA 70E training, been issued the PPE that my job requires, have been trained on our companies written safeyt procedures, and have recieved the hands on task specific training that my job requires I perform.

walkerj

How about, I (employee) have recieved all of the required OSHA and NFPA 70E training, been issued the PPE that my job requires, have been trained on our companies written safeyt procedures, and have recieved the hands on task specific training that my job requires I perform.

I would say most electricians wouldn't be able to sign that truthfully.

chris kennedy

Occupation

I really wish that was the case at our shop, but sadly, its not.

zog

I really wish that was the case at our shop, but sadly, its not.

Well I have bad news for you my friend, all of that stuff is required and a lack of any of those things are fineable by OSHA, the same stuff I post OSHA fines about in this section on a regular basis. And now, as the Safety Officer, it is on your plate to have things in order. I recommend you tell them to either get all of those things done or find a new safety officer to make up thier BS documents they want thier employees to sign.

earlejohnson

safty

safty

at a shop i work at a long time ago we did something like that and its along the lines of ladder safty for week one, tool safty week two, and ect.

pfalcon

Make em line items to initial or deny.

___ Electrical Safe Work Practices training - received
___ Personal Protection Equipment - received
___ Notice of Disciplinary Actions possible for violating policy - received
____________ Signature
Initial or write "NO" for each line item. Sign at bottom.

And above all do not make them sign off on anything before you give it to them, and a couple minutes to read it as required. I can't tell you how many places have asked me to sign off on things before they would hand me the notice. I had one ask me to sign off when they were out of stock. A couple testimonies during that liability trial that your employees sign off, get handed, and pitch the notice will burn your protection.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
Although I agree with Zogs post we all know its not reality. If it were, the professions costs would increase and many already fret about being non competitive with those who do not follow the laws / rules.

Its funny.... you can't practice law with out the proper training and testing yet the enforcement of codes is not the same. I feel until codes and training is enforced to the same level as some other professions, we will always have 2 worlds. The porper "ideal" world and reality. Perhaps we can only help close the gap, but may never see the ideal world.

wtucker

This is a CYA document that can't be done that way, won't hold up before OSHA or a judge! How would the employee, who's asked to sign, know whether he's received "all of the required" training, PPE and task-specific training? How is he supposed to know what training is required? What if the requirements change? What if the procedures change? What if the tasks change?

This is an employer's burden that can't be transferred to the employee. The only thing an employer can do is

1. Issue the PPE and get dated receipts to prove it (What? These gloves were issued 7 months ago? No test at 6?), and

2. Run the training and keep the sign-in sheets and written and practical tests. (A "qualified person" is "One who has received training in and has demonstrated skills and knowledge in the construction and operation of electric equipment and installations and the hazards involved." The tests are where the skills are "demonstrated." Without the test, who's to say the guy didn't sleep through the training?)

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Why not do what we do. Have your monthly, bi-weekly, weekly, whatever, safety meeting, each person signs the attendence sheet. The top of the attendence sheet should clearly state what the training was for, ladders, highlifts, driving (we have a CHP officer come in every 3 years or so). The attendence sheet then becomes the signed paper work that they may be looking for.

Almost forgot, also give each employee a three ring binder and hand outs of the safety meeting and they must keep them.

Status
Not open for further replies.