200a feeder: MC or EMT & wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter d

I understand your thought 100%, I love copper but .........

.......today's aluminum is just as good as copper. In fact, with the steadily rising cost of copper, aluminum may be a much better choice.

*This message paid for by the aluminum industries of America. ;)

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
.......today's aluminum is just as good as copper. In fact, with the steadily rising cost of copper, aluminum may be a much better choice.

The larger sizes of aluminum conductors have never been a problem to my knowlege. Only the smaller size house wiring (like #12).

At 4X the price, it's hard to argue over it for too long. Not usually my problem any more though.

Occupation
Electrician
You could also use aluminum mc cable,I've pulled a lot of 3/0 copper mc and it's actually very easy.It's actually smaller than you might think(fits in a 1.5" connector and normally available within a week.

Occupation
Electrician
It could also be secured to the underside of the bar joist rather than run through it,making the lift do the work.(presuming he's using a lift).

220/221

Okay, so with about 15' up a cinder-block wall from the disco, about 60' across the bar-joist ceiling, and about 15' down to the switch with a strut support, and considering floor clutter, I figure allowing three full days of labor (including shopping and transporting materials) for two or three people. The lifting mechanism will most likely be a 2-person scissor lift.

I would do that job in one (long?) day with one or two guys helping.

For only 60', I would just use bring my rolling scaffold.

Pulling the wire in that short of a run with only two 90's will be easy. Use a rope, you can get a better grip on it than you can with a fish tape.

I am NOT suggesting that you lower your price. I'm just saying that, with proper planning, you could spank it out and make really good money.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Thats a given, know any other giants in the industry?:grin:

green_giant_html.jpg

"Ho-ho-ho!"

:grin: :grin: :cool:
Don't encourage him! :roll: :)grin:)

iwire

Staff member

Pulling the wire in that short of a run with only two 90's will be easy. Use a rope, you can get a better grip on it than you can with a fish tape.

I am NOT suggesting that you lower your price. I'm just saying that, with proper planning, you could spank it out and make really good money.

I agree with 220 but I am more of a lift kind of guy.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
That sounds too much like work. We're built for comfort, not for speed.
Ours isn't quite that tall.
Agreed, and already in the plan.
Okay, let's alter the question: How much time should I price it using?

220/221

Okay, let's alter the question: How much time should I price it using?

Your time is priced right. Just because I can bust my ass, work long hours and plan jobs efficiently doesn't mean I'm working cheap.

I figure jobs based on what normal people would do, then try to get it done in half the time or better. Worst case, I make normal money.

I agree with 220 but I am more of a lift kind of guy.

I have resorted to every old school money saving device I can come up with lately. Three years ago I would order a lift, no questions asked. Today, I'd put the lift money in the bid but just bring a couple sections of (paid for) scaffold.

Status
Not open for further replies.