Damp location light fixture

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetlag

I need to install a bath ceiling light but I wont be able to get it out of the 3 ft from the Edge rule for both the Tub and shower both because they are only 5 ft apart , The code says I must use a damp location fixture , can some on describe how you recognize the difference in a damp location surface mounted fixture . I have also seen it posted that a wall mounted fixture inside the area does not have to be rated for damp location if not subject to shower spay , is that true?

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have also seen it posted that a wall mounted fixture inside the area does not have to be rated for damp location if not subject to shower spay , is that true?

That is true.

410.10(D) Bathtub and Shower Areas. No parts of cord-connected luminaires, chain-, cable-, or cord-suspended luminaires, lighting track, pendants, or ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans shall be located within a zone measured 900 mm (3 ft) horizontally and 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold. This zone is all encompassing and includes the space directly over the tub or shower stall. Luminaires located within the actual outside dimension of the bathtub or shower to a height of 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower threshold shall be marked for damp locations, or marked for wet locations where subject to shower spray.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I don't think you can look at a fixture and necessarily tell if it is listed for damp location. It will be written on it.

jetlag

I don't think you can look at a fixture and necessarily tell if it is listed for damp location. It will be written on it.

Ok I think I have been misreading 410.10 D . The 3 ft rule is only for the hanging fixtures , As long as a surface mount is not directly over the tub or shower outer dimensions , the fixture does not have to be rated for damp location , correct ?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Ok I think I have been misreading 410.10 D . The 3 ft rule is only for the hanging fixtures , As long as a surface mount is not directly over the tub or shower outer dimensions , the fixture does not have to be rated for damp location , correct ?

That is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.