1000 foot run

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbarone

I'm need to power a small shed on a golf course with 20 amps at 240 volts.
the closest source is a 1000 feet away. What size wire would handle my
voltage drop conserns.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I'm need to power a small shed on a golf course with 20 amps at 240 volts.
voltage drop conserns.

I'd be inclined to step the voltage up to 480 or 600V and then drop it back down to keep the wire size more reasonable.

There are plenty of Vd calculators out there.

A few questions come to mind.

Just what are your concerns?

is this 3 phase or single phase?

Is it a 20A circuit, or does it actually draw 20 amps?

If it is a motor load, there may be some issues getting it started with a large VD.

Last edited:

cadpoint

I’m need to power a small shed on a golf course with 20 amps at 240 volts.
voltage drop concerns.

I’ll guess that the owner wants to make the shed into a work shop, if this is the case you’ll need to have all the desired numbers for the equipment that involved.

Put it this way, I doubt that they will only want a night light and an interior light and a receptacle for all that money.

You might also ask for a price from the poco to run some poles off the existing service and drop a new meter and service at the shed. JMO

Here is one voltage drop calculator

gbarone

I'm going out tomorrow to take a look at the project. I just wanted to go
with some idea's or suggestions for the project manager. The key I guess will be what is available at the power source. But the preliminary need is for just a 120 volt circuit for an outlet and a light.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I'm going out tomorrow to take a look at the project. I just wanted to go
with some idea's or suggestions for the project manager. The key I guess will be what is available at the power source. But the preliminary need is for just a 120 volt circuit for an outlet and a light.

I am guessing they will decide they can live without the outlet and light when they find out what it will cost.

maybe a portable generator would be a more cost effective choice.

bob

A 10 amp load at 120 volts would require #2 cu for a 3% drop. It depends on the customers load.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I'd price the step up/down transformers first. Another benefit with transformers is it saves you the cost of one wire, you don't need to run a neutral.

If transformers don't work out, I'd most likely run 1/0 AL USE or XHHW in 2" pvc.

sparky59

if this is just a light and a convienence outlet i have ran #2 USE AL in 1.5 inch pvc. It worked great for me.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
GB, welcome to the forum! :)

Is a power-company supply an option?

Don't you need at least a 100A service to a separate structure?
If it was a service or feeder, yes.

This would be a single circuit, and not even require an electrode.

gbarone

Thanks for all your great replies, this site is a great help to us in the trade. In response to sparky I would be interested in learning more about your project. I'm surprised you were able to keep your 120/240 voltage. What did you finish with, probably 115/230?

gbarone

Thanks for the welcome Larry. And I'll be back tomorrow after looking at the job to tell you what I found. I'm curious to see if I can get the power co. to give me a line from the closest pole, if I submit an S&M form.

Cavie

We run into this all the time in the signal world. POCO doesn't have electric near the interstate intersections. I am doing two intersections in SW Florida. Just today we had a meeting with the maintaining agency. We must move the existing control cabinent about 6 feet back away from the edge of pavement. My idea was to go back to the nearest underground pull box in the median and make a splice in the service wire, pull new wire to the new location Maybe 50'. NOPE, this is government in action. We are being asked to run about 1000' to the existing service pole with all new 2" conduit and #2 cu wire for a 120volt 20amp circuit for the control cabinent. Haven't worked up the price yet but quick math tells me that with directional bores, machinery, conduit, wire and labor a $500.00 fix just became over $10,000.00. My thoughts of 480 volts and a transformer fell on def ears.

kwired

Electron manager
We run into this all the time in the signal world. POCO doesn't have electric near the interstate intersections. I am doing two intersections in SW Florida. Just today we had a meeting with the maintaining agency. We must move the existing control cabinent about 6 feet back away from the edge of pavement. My idea was to go back to the nearest underground pull box in the median and make a splice in the service wire, pull new wire to the new location Maybe 50'. NOPE, this is government in action. We are being asked to run about 1000' to the existing service pole with all new 2" conduit and #2 cu wire for a 120volt 20amp circuit for the control cabinent. Haven't worked up the price yet but quick math tells me that with directional bores, machinery, conduit, wire and labor a $500.00 fix just became over $10,000.00. My thoughts of 480 volts and a transformer fell on def ears.

In this case don't they have to have an engineer to make the decision on how to do it. Or maybe they do, and he has his own agenda.

Status
Not open for further replies.