Pole Base & Concrete

Status
Not open for further replies.

blingbling4r

I am installing a 25' aluminum pole. I am making a 7' base 2' wide (5' of this base will be in the ground).

1) How long after the base is poured should I wait to set the pole??? I know this is based on ambient temperature. In my area it has been around 40 degree average.

2) How do you stand off your rebar cage for exposed foundations??? Typically for 100% in ground pole base foundations, I'll tie the cage to a couple 2x4s and set those to grade (matches it perfectly). But with 2 feet of the sonotube being exposed, how would I do this? I'm think concrete Adobe spacer blocks tied to the sides and bottom of the cage. Seeing if there are any tips out there???

When doing this it has always worked best to make a table out of 2x4's. Cut two pieces at 24" or the diameter of the sonotube and cut 2 pieces @ 4'. make a square with equal ends of extra 2x4 on each end. you can screw the sonotube to this. then I level the top off with 2x4 legs. as for the rebar cage being suppended I use 2x4's going across the top which has the bolt holes drilled into it. From there take tie wire and suppend the cage. Probably tough to understand but, it works great when done right.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Pole foundations are designed for the soil bearing. Soft sandy soil takes more mass than hard rocky soil, its not a one size fits all design. The foundation depends on the wind load, pole weight, mast arm lenght, etc
We only use sonatube on the top 12" of the form to let the concrete be in contact with the native soil.
I would let the concrete set at least one week.

480sparky

.............1) How long after the base is poured should I wait to set the pole??? I know this is based on ambient temperature. In my area it has been around 40 degree average......

Depends on the mix you get. Sometimes, you can install the next day, other stuff may take a week. Either way, I'd take the time to pull wires first.

....2) How do you stand off your rebar cage for exposed foundations??? ...........

I just throw the cage in place when setting the sonotube and piping, letting it fall wherever it want to. When the mud is poured, I move it into place by hand as the hole fills up. Once you're a third full, the cage should stay in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.