Using N3R enclosure indoors voiding UL listing

Status
Not open for further replies.
My inspector has brought up an issue this morning.

He pointed to Hoffman's UL sticker. "Enclosure openings must be filled by equipment with the same Type rating as the enclosure."

We used a N3R hinged door for 80 some odd locations. When indoors we used compression connectors and not rain tight connectors that we used outdoors. His statement was that this violated the UL listing of the Haffman enclosure.

Huh?

As I wait for a clarification from Hoffman, my only response is....are you kidding?

Can anyone validate or invalidate this?

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........

He pointed to Hoffman's UL sticker. "Enclosure openings must be filled by equipment with the same Type rating as the enclosure."

We used a N3R hinged door for 80 some odd locations. When indoors we used compression connectors and not rain tight connectors that we used outdoors. His statement was that this violated the UL listing of the Haffman enclosure.

Huh?

As I wait for a clarification from Hoffman, my only response is....are you kidding?

I cannot imagine any inspector being that anal about using w/p fitting in a w/p box inside!
Outside? yes, inside? no.
Does he have a really twisted sense of humor?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I hate to double-guess Hoffman but IMHO that statement is in reference to NEC 110.12(A) for UNUSED openings.
My response would be the same as yours.... if that mild.

skeshesh

That is pretty ridiculous indeed. Unfortunately though, he may be technically right if the UL rating is for the assembley as UL listed. If he doesn't budge you may be able to have the manufacturer come out and relabel the install.

markstg

Huh?

You have used a NEMA 3R enclosure where you do not need the 3R rating, but only NEMA 1 rating. Since you don't need the 3R rating you haven't violataed anything.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Very few enclosures do not carry a NEMA 1 rating as well as their 'special environmental' rating.

UL says that any field modifications, including field punched 'knockouts', to UL enclosures could negate their 'environmental' rating dropping them down to the standard UL Type 1 rating. (For example, see UL508A-2001 19.4).

There is no requirement for 'watertight' entries into NEMA 3R enclosures, unless they are above live parts.

Jim W in Tampa

I truly feel sorry for you to have an inspector that screwed up. Does take some common sense. But on the bright side if your house is on fire you could hose it down the panel. WOW

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

Huh?

"Type 3R Enclosures constructed for either indoor or outdoor use to provide a degree of protection to personnel against access to hazardous parts; to provide a degree of protection of the equipment inside the enclosure against ingress of solid foreign objects (falling dirt); to provide a degree of protection with respect to harmful effects on the equipment due to the ingress of water (rain, sleet, snow); and that will be undamaged by the external formation of ice on the enclosure."

Question? If it is rated for indoor use why are fittings rated for outdoor use required?

mpd

I truly feel sorry for you to have an inspector that screwed up. Does take some common sense. But on the bright side if your house is on fire you could hose it down the panel. WOW

(LOL)i think the inspector is the one who needs the hose turned on him

Status
Not open for further replies.