light in laundry room

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstrang

I have a light in a laundry room on the wall and the builder installed a shelf within 6" of shelf. does this violate sec 410.8. I do not think this is a clothes closet.

raider1

Staff member
It is not a clothes closet per se. But is there a rod installed under a shelf

over the washer-dryer? Depends on the inspector & how he feels that day

around here

Actually it shouldn't.

The 2008 NEC has a definition of a clothes closet.

Clothes Closet. A non-habitable room or space intended
primarily for storage of garments and apparel.

IMHO a laundry room is not a clothes closet.

Just because there may be a shelf with a closet rod does not make the room a clothes closet.

Chris

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Actually it shouldn't.

The 2008 NEC has a definition of a clothes closet.

IMHO a laundry room is not a clothes closet.

Just because there may be a shelf with a closet rod does not make the room a clothes closet.

Chris

I agree, it's primary function is a laundry room so it doesn't fit the definition of a clothes closet.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Without the rod i see no issues. With it your inviting it to store clothes. Not an easy call. Would say bit of poor planning.

Seems like an easy call to me. Does not fit the definition of a clothes closet. Who doesn't temporarily hang clothes in their laundry room?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
So the shelf is right below the light and you wouldn't worry about someone storing boxes or whatever too close to the light?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You've got me. The lights in the garage are over a few cans of gasoline so do they need to be replaced?

That section is very vague.
That's 410.12 which is lights over highly combustibles. But the shelf being 6" below the light would be a problem for me. I would not install the light there as
I see it as a violation of 410.11--or I would have a guard on the fixture. I realize that we don't know what will be stored there and it is a bit vague but it seems like an accident waiting to happen. Maybe a good code proposal here.

Status
Not open for further replies.