Portable generator output

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

A customer showed me a 7500W portable generator(very inexpensive) that he bought. I got to looking at it and noticed it had a switch for idle control. When the unit was running at "normal speed"(extremely loud ) the out put was 122V, at idle it was 99V. I have a Honda that has a similiar feature, but when it is in the idle mode it maintains 120V same as normal operating mode.I know that he runs this at the idle setting to reduce noise,sure seems like it would be hard on motors starting(furnace, refrig, etc) at the reduced voltage.Is there something wrong with it, or do you simply get what you pay for in portable generators?

ceb58

A customer showed me a 7500W portable generator(very inexpensive) that he bought. I got to looking at it and noticed it had a switch for idle control. When the unit was running at "normal speed"(extremely loud ) the out put was 122V, at idle it was 99V. I have a Honda that has a similiar feature, but when it is in the idle mode it maintains 120V same as normal operating mode.I know that he runs this at the idle setting to reduce noise,sure seems like it would be hard on motors starting(furnace, refrig, etc) at the reduced voltage.Is there something wrong with it, or do you simply get what you pay for in portable generators?

When you checked voltage they were under a no-load condition. When load is applied the gov. kicks in to ramp the engine up to speed to handle the load. Just like a gas powered welder it will idle until you strike an arc then it revs up. The reading you got from you Honda is probably because you have a better voltage regulator than the other unit. So yes you get what you pay for.

nizak

Ceb, I checked it at idle and found 99V, plugged in a 300W incandescent lamp and it bumped up to 102+/-. I don't know at what point it has to accelerate to in order to get nominal 120V.I guess the that maybe it isn't a critical enough issue to be concerned with.

ceb58

Ceb, I checked it at idle and found 99V, plugged in a 300W incandescent lamp and it bumped up to 102+/-. I don't know at what point it has to accelerate to in order to get nominal 120V.I guess the that maybe it isn't a critical enough issue to be concerned with.

300w is not a lot try a heat gun. All in all dont see it as a big deal,ether

renosteinke

It's very much a case of your getting what you pay for. That's a warning for you.

The cheap ones have poor voltage regulation - which means that electronics probably won't fare well if the'ye on genny power for an extended period. Save them for powering lights and space heaters. Even your cordless tool chargers are likely to be damaged.

Naturally, you noticed the noise difference. I think you'll also find some differences between the 'rated' power and what you can really get from the unit.

Other differences will be found in weight, vibration, and fuel consumption.

That's why 'bargain' retailers sell $150 gennys, and the guys who make "similar" quality gennys for $850 are still in business.

hurk27

I would think the frequency would change more then the voltage, many of the newer Honda's have inverter output and will read 120/60 hz at any speed. while for hand tools with small motors this idle control is not a problem, and a very common generator designed for a job site, but for electronics and or larger appliances with synchronous motors, I would not recommend using the idle control, as it can cause failures, I burned up a Dewalt charger on one of these generators, and a friend lost a TV using one.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
I would think the frequency would change more then the voltage, many of the newer Honda's have inverter output and will read 120/60 hz at any speed. while for hand tools with small motors this idle control is not a problem, and a very common generator designed for a job site, but for electronics and or larger appliances with synchronous motors, I would not recommend using the idle control, as it can cause failures, I burned up a Dewalt charger on one of these generators, and a friend lost a TV using one.

Yes, the Honda generators that end in "i" such as EU2000i are inverter models and generate clean 120V/60Hz power at all engine speeds. Ordinary generators must run at 3600 rpm to maintain 60Hz and the correct voltage.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.