GFI extension cord's

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkSafe

This topic really made me re-read my OSHA manuals. I'm glad I did because I never new OSHA required the use of GFCI's on extension cords in General Industry (1910.304).

TVH

GFI Extension Cords

GFI Extension Cords

Put aside the reguations and perform a risk assessment. Let your actions be guided accordingly.

iwire

Staff member
OSHA might require them, but not for everything, as Bob seems to think.

OK I will change my position to 'almost everything'. But which side of this do you think an OHSA inspector is going to lean to?

And again the OP is asking about industrial plant maintenance not hanging wallpaper.

But I still say NEC Art 590 does not apply to general maintenance.

You can say that but you have not shown anything to support that.

The problem is just that you have never looked at it that way so you do not want to accept it. :)

iwire

Staff member
590.5 applies directly to Holiday lights ... is that construction?

How about 590.3(A) which says "construction, remodeling, maintenance,
repair,
or demolition of buildings, structures, equipment, or
similar activities."

How can you possibly say 590 does not apply to 'general maintenance' when it tells us it does?

kwired

Electron manager
590.5 applies directly to Holiday lights ... is that construction?

How about 590.3(A) which says "construction, remodeling, maintenance,
repair, or demolition of buildings, structures, equipment, or
similar activities."

How can you possibly say 590 does not apply to 'general maintenance' when it tells us it does?

That is one reason why I'm a little suprised that GFCI is not required on all 15 or 20 amp 125 volt receptacles. Any receptacle is subject to this possibility.

My opinion - we do not need GFCI protection for some items like refrigerators, freezers, washers, or anything like that that gets plugged in and typically does not move, or is rarely unplugged.

I do feel that continuity of the equipment grounding conductor is very important if you are not going to have GFCI protection however. That is where all the problems start, is when the EGC is lost.

The 5-15 plug and receptacles have been around long enough that they will probably never be replaced but the ground pin breaks off too easily on a lot of cords, and most people have learned that it works without it so why bother fixing it.

If they designed a better plug (as in different configuration) for certain items I feel GFCI protection would not be needed for those items that may require protection now, not so much because the appliance needs protection but because the 5-15 receptacle is subject to being used for other things. But then you have a dilemma with all the existing similar products, and I can assure you there will be all kinds of homemade as well as manufactured adapters to convert them or a lot of original cord caps will be cut off and replaced with a 5-15. Because of all of that the GFCI still looks like the best solution, at least for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.