phase tape

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
What are you trying to accomplish? The code does not specify the colors to be used to intentify systems. If you are trying to comply with 210.5C, you can only use intentification method that is shown on the required labels at the panels.

wire color

wire color

An inspector, in Ocala, Florida, showed me a reference that required that wire sizes of 6awg and smaller had to be CONTINOUSLY colored and I had to order the wire. I would have used black wire and phase tape.
Does anyone know the reference in the code? I cannot find it now.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
An inspector, in Ocala, Florida, showed me a reference that required that wire sizes of 6awg and smaller had to be CONTINOUSLY colored and I had to order the wire. I would have used black wire and phase tape.

Sounds like he pulled one over on you, there is no such NEC requirement for ungrounded conductors.

Roger

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........

250.119 is for equipment grounds
200.6 for grounded conductors
210.5-c and 215.12-c for ungrounded conductors
All of this came from NEC 2008

Other than high-leg marking (110.15), I've never seen anything saying that ungrounded wires must have continuous color whatever the size (didn't check 517). Local amendment, maybe? OTOH, it's pretty simple to keep a spool of red 12g to go along with the spools of black/white/green.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Better listen to roger on this. No such noise as "the inspector" made up. Have him show you in the book...May be a while looking for something that is not there :D....

iwire

Staff member
Other than high-leg marking (110.15), I've never seen anything saying that ungrounded wires must have continuous color whatever the size

110,15 does not require continuous color either.

110.15 High-Leg Marking. On a 4-wire, delta-connected
system where the midpoint of one phase winding is
grounded, only the conductor or busbar having the higher
phase voltage to ground shall be durably and permanently
marked by an outer finish that is orange in color or by other
effective means. Such identification shall be placed at each
point on the system where a connection is made if the
grounded conductor is also present.

hurk27

Ungrounded (hot) conductors are allowed to be recolored to anything you want, there is no restriction in the NEC for the size of the wire.

For grounded conductors (neutrals) 200.6(B) or grounding conductors 250.119(A) require the conductor to be the proper color if it is a #6 or smaller.

Guess I should turn to page two before posting:roll:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.