delicious code violation photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
was called to inspect the wiring in this renovation after several other tradespeople complained to the facility manager that the wiring was suspect.

it was once an old furniture store, now renovated as a care facility for mentally handicapped people.

I ended up with two or three pages of violations. Manager informed me that bids were labor only; the facility purchased all their own materials at a discount rate somewhere. The EC they awarded the job to was about half of the next lowest bid.

this job was permitted, inspected, and passed.

i was sorely disappointed with what i found.

here's a small sampling of violations.

First up, a sub-panel in the attic for nearby AHU and condensor unit that is outside. Sub-panel is fed w/ 6/3NM. White and bare are both connected to the neutral bar. The connectors use for NM are PVC MA's. 60A to AHU is connected to 8/2 NM . . .
ARC_attic_sub-panel.jpg

These wires are live . . .

ARC_open%20splices%20in%20attic.jpg

This is how they connected all of the 2x4 lay-ins . . . note the ceiling is acoustical tile

ARC_transition%20from%20%2312%20to%20%2314%2C%20improper%20connector.jpg

I found at least 15 of these fixtures where the connection was made outside the fixture; on these connections, the ground wire has been cut where the cable is stripped. 80% of the fixtures are not grounded.

ARC_open%20splice%20outside%20of%20fixture.jpg

This is the circuit breaker feeding the hvac sub-panel in the attic. Its 6/3NM fused @ 100A; did i mention the heat strips? I was told this breaker was changed from a 60A the morning I came because it kept tripping when the heat came on.

ARC_100A%20breaker%20on%20%236%20copper%20wire%20feeding%20subpanel.jpg

6/2NM coming from attic sub-panel through this chase. they drilled a hole in the side to run 3/4" PVC to the disconnect. All romex.

ARC_romex%20coming%20from%20attic%20to%20outside%20through%20chase.jpg

Jim W in Tampa

And be kind enough to let the fire chief a copy of all of this. Thinking someone is faceing some serious charges and maybe even criminal. Best advice is run from this mess.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
i have no intentions of putting a dog in this fight. i was asked to give an "unbiased, out-of-towners" perspective, and that's exactly what i did.

i sent a detailed report (strictly code citation, no personal opinion) and photographs to the manager, who in turn takes it to the board of dir.

during our last conversation, he indicated to me that they were headed to the city offices with this thinking they were just as liable as the EC for what its going to cost to correct.

the inspector in this town used to be an inspector in my town. Oddly enough, he was very hard to get along with while here in GA. Apparently he's made friends now.

I'm very curious of the outcome here; I plan on contacting them in the next few weeks to see what progress has been made. I was trying to get the job for correcting the work, but was told they won't make any moves until they recoup something from either the EC or AHJ.

I will say though, I was very disgusted with all this. The contractor is taking advantage of the least capable among us. If, God forbid, something ignited here, it would be extremely difficult to evacuate these people.

My personal feelings are that once the contractor was on-site, he realized his mistake in bidding the labor far too low, and being a labor-only bid, did what he needed to do to get out in a hurry.

Last edited:

Jim W in Tampa

Could get very messy. Are you suggesting this was permited and inspected work ? If so I would not even want near the fight. The EC will likely lose his behind and license.
The owners are not likely at fault for the work but might get forced to shut down till up to code and I some how have feeling they are in for a complete inspection of everything.
When taking care of others living needs codes get tough. Worked on a house for juviniles that could not use the second floor for sleeping till it had sprinklers system. It was nothing more than a typical 2 story frame house out in the middle of no where on a well. I did the fire pump electrical. Was a place for abused kids and under state contract.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
My personal feelings are that once the contractor was on-site, he realized his mistake in bidding the labor far too low, and being a labor-only bid, did what he needed to do to get out in a hurry.
I don't buy that. Using the wrong parts is a sign of ignorance, not haste or laziness.

If he was merely in a hurry, the EC would have skipped the MA's completely.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I was thinking the inspector was the electricians . . . or vice versa.

No, that wasn't the case.

I've dealt with this inspector and he was always tough, and very opinionated.

I don't know the EC but have learned since that this is very typical of his work.

This is a small town in north florida.

Jacob S

I chuckled at the fact he took the time to put a bushing on the MA in the top photo. Adds to the fact the EC was completely stupid and has no clue what he is doing.

renosteinke

Not quite sure what I'm looking at, as the pictures are much larger than my screen. There's only so much fussing I'll bother myself with.

Might I suggest that pictures be 'sacled' back to, say, 550 pixels wide? There are plenty of free programs that will do this for you - as well as let you 'edit' them to concentrate on details you want seen.

Otherwise, the job depicts just another reason I start to worry when the customer says he'll supply the materials. Apart from immeditely telling me the customer will be trouble, I can guarantee that there will be issues. Sometimes it's the wrong, or incomplete, materials. Sometimes it leads to the customer making design choices he's not qualified to make. Most importantly, perhaps, it signals that the customer thinks you're a thieving chimp with a tool belt- not the start of a wonderful relationship.

Opinionated inspector? And he passed this? Leads me to imagine several unprintable opinions. Maybe he'll take the 'traditional Japanese' approach to addressing his completly irresponsible approval. More likely, the customer is fibbing, and this stuff was done AFTER the inspection.

220/221

It looks like they had the residents do the work.

Pitiful.

I usually shake my head and walk away but even I would send those pics to the authorities

ceb58

i have no intentions of putting a dog in this fight. i was asked to give an "unbiased, out-of-towners" perspective, and that's exactly what i did.

i sent a detailed report (strictly code citation, no personal opinion) and photographs to the manager, who in turn takes it to the board of dir.

during our last conversation, he indicated to me that they were headed to the city offices with this thinking they were just as liable as the EC for what its going to cost to correct.

the inspector in this town used to be an inspector in my town. Oddly enough, he was very hard to get along with while here in GA. Apparently he's made friends now.

I'm very curious of the outcome here; I plan on contacting them in the next few weeks to see what progress has been made. I was trying to get the job for correcting the work, but was told they won't make any moves until they recoup something from either the EC or AHJ.

I will say though, I was very disgusted with all this. The contractor is taking advantage of the least capable among us. If, God forbid, something ignited here, it would be extremely difficult to evacuate these people.

Probably the best stance to take but I/we would like to know the outcome if you are privy to that info. For a job that like this I would think the State would be the ones to inspect instead of a local inspector, they would here anyway.

This is a small town in north florida.

Call Chris Kennedy maybe he can find Al and they can fix it :D

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Might I suggest that pictures be 'sacled' back to, say, 550 pixels wide? There are plenty of free programs that will do this for you - as well as let you 'edit' them to concentrate on details you want seen.

i understand; but i honestly don't have the time to edit them. wish they were smaller too.

Status
Not open for further replies.