Sprinkled Building

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveonb

I have a building official that wants us to install panelboards in a NEMA 4 enclosure because the building is protected by a fire sprinkler system. Is code reference is table 110.20. The building is a retail store. My response: The 2008 NEC says ?Protection Against The Following Environmental Conditions.? (Table 110.20) The intent is this protection is required if those environmental conditions exist in normal operation. In other words, if the environment is hose downed and splashing water exist, the NEMA 4 enclosures would be required. If the environment is not hose downed and splashing water exist, this additional protection - and cost is not required. If this was the intent of the code, NEMA 4 enclosure would be required in any building or dwelling unit because the possibility would exist for the panel to be exposed to water. Every panel has the potential to be exposed to water due to flooding, leaking roof, or fire hoses regardless if a fire sprinkler system is install. I really do not believe code requires NEMA 4 enclosures in this application. They deleted 110.20 and table 110.20 in the 2011 NEC. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have never seen a requirement such as this. If the sprinklers go off there are other issues to worry about. :) Unless there is a local amendment I think they are incorrect. Are they requiring wp covers on all switches and recep.?

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Your inspector is a moron. Ask him if the rest of the finishes in the building need to be water proof, such as the sheet rock and the flooring. There is no requirement for such an installation. My guess is he is a not very well versed combo inspector.

Status
Not open for further replies.