Identification of outlets

Status
Not open for further replies.

skeshesh

Good day guys; hope all is well.

What are some effective labeling methods for nylon receptacles? I've not found a method in the specifications for a job and it would be great to hear some available tagging methods and the associated pros and cons.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
We have a local trophy shop make phenolic labels with the panel designation and circuit number, they are self adhereing.

Some facilities have us install them on the plates and some have us install them on the walls above the device. The problem with installing them on the plates is painters, whether it's during or after construction they will either loose the plates or put them back in the wrong locations. They seem to remain in place and correct if they are attached to the walls.

Roger

iwire

Staff member
If there are no specs I find 1/4" black on clear 'P-Touch' tape works well.

It is easy to read but is low key.

626722b.jpg

We have done some universities that required stainless plates with the circuit & panel numbers engraved in black. What a major pain to get all of these ordered and installed in the correct locations.

skeshesh

We have done some universities that required stainless plates with the circuit & panel numbers engraved in black. What a major pain to get all of these ordered and installed in the correct locations.

Okay let me provide a bit more detail: the job is in fact for a university and we (and by that I mean a designer who is no longer with us) consolidated their design standards with our master specs. Their standards called for engraved identification, but they're also mentioning a metallic face plate in the language. This leads me to believe it's old and/or not well considered. The space is a research are with class B occupancy so nylon outlets are being used. Of coures I have the client's best interest in mind, but I also don't want to be unreasonable and have the contractor provide plates or another unnecessarily stringent method that will likely result in waste of time and money.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
IMO, even though stainless steel plates cost a little more, they are a good investment for commercial installations, they probably account for about 90% of the plates we install.

Roger

nhfire77

Amen!! I was given the task of coordinating the ordering of 400 of those for a hospital addition. I think I was going crazy by the end.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Even IBM was not so fussy that we had to get plates engraved for their jobs. We used printer labels, I forget the colors. Blended well, but easily legible up close.

Status
Not open for further replies.