Medium Voltage Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

elec1746

I have been working in low voltage industry with motors up to 500 hp 460 volt. I would like to find information and training on safety and procedures for MV equipment installation, cable termination, and troubleshooting. Anybody have recommendations on a good place to start? How well do manufacturer's classes cover the whole scope?

Thedroid

MV isn't a whole lot different than 480. Many cabinets are interlocked, so you have to work a little to get to energized parts.

I think the best thing you can do is read the instructions for the specific equipment, proper terminations, and instrument transformers. I have never come across any real good books or training.

zog

I have been working in low voltage industry with motors up to 500 hp 460 volt. I would like to find information and training on safety and procedures for MV equipment installation, cable termination, and troubleshooting. Anybody have recommendations on a good place to start? How well do manufacturer's classes cover the whole scope?

I used to do this training for companies, I would design a course for the specific equipment the plant had. The AVO sub I and II courses are pretty good but will focus more on operation and maintenence. Brainfiller has a good MV intro class. http://www.brainfiller.com/

MV cable termination is usually a seperate class, I recommend getting certified for MV cable splices and terminations if you plan on doing them, most facilities are now requiring that certification. http://www.ncscb.org/

ohmhead

Our company has sent us to splice class by General Electric now called Eaton and some of the cable manufacturers have classes your company pays them to teach .

Ive been many times over the years you must go each year or each time you do HV splicen most contractors we work for they need prof and a card showing you did or your not splicing on that project .

The best class was GE its a 2 week hands on splice class you make cables up and test them in class with three days of theory .

Keyrite cable company has them also but GE was the best one .

Its not cheap but i dont pay so cant help ya !

Status
Not open for further replies.