Military Electrical Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceb58

A little background. My youngest son is 19. He has been working with me pulling wire,wireing homes, services and light to med. commercial work since he was 10. He is working now with a medium size electrical contractor and going to school at night for his electrical certification. So he is not unfamiliar with the work or work in generial. He is thinking hard about joining the Army and working as an Interior Electrician. Their job description is what you would find for most shops for that type of work and not much,if any, than he is used to.

Question. Have any of you, that were in the military, do any of this type work or get your start in the electrical field? If so what was the up side and down side?

The only thing I see is the pay. I think with his experience he could come out of boot camp as an E3. If he puts his mind to it he could go ahead and take the NC contractors exam and go in with his license which may bring his rank up. They list the base pay for an E3 at a little over 20k, but that doesn't include any allowances he may be entitled to.

Any experiences?

USMC1302

Ceb58:
As a Marine Corps engineer I had utilities Marines in my section, and they received decent training in distribution systems,mobile electric power, basic wiring practices, etc. We mainly set-up base camps back in the old days with romex, now manufactured cord and plug sets. I knew many senior Marines who obtained their contractor licenses. Your son will be ahead of the ball game, and probably can make E3 out of bootcamp. Unless things have changed though, promotions are based more on time in service and general military experience. I applaud anyone that joins the military, especially now, as he will most assuredly be deployed at some point. Have him REALLY research the MOS he is looking at, as well as check the other services. Just an opinion, but as far as actually working in the "trade", my experience says that the Seabees deserve a look. They do most of the deliberate construction of facilities(besides civilian contractors) in theater operations. Yes the pay is low at first, but there are many non-taxable benefits to be considered as well.

zog

The power industry is full of ex-military and 99% of those guys came from either the Navy Nuclear program or the Army Prime Power program. Both of these programs have excellent training that can be a huge asset when he gets out.

Navy Nukes become an E-4 during school (After technical school graduation and before going to nuclear power school) and many become E-5's before they set foot on a ship. Add in all of the special pay they get and in 2 years you can make $40k+ all of the allowances, plus the enlistment bunus which varies from 20-50k.

The skills transfer better to Industrial work or power distribution but if he wants to be an electrician his electrical theory knowledge will make that transition easy.

BJ Conner

A little background. My youngest son is 19. He has been working with me pulling wire,wireing homes, services and light to med. commercial work since he was 10. He is working now with a medium size electrical contractor and going to school at night for his electrical certification. So he is not unfamiliar with the work or work in generial. He is thinking hard about joining the Army and working as an Interior Electrician. Their job description is what you would find for most shops for that type of work and not much,if any, than he is used to.

Question. Have any of you, that were in the military, do any of this type work or get your start in the electrical field? If so what was the up side and down side?

The only thing I see is the pay. I think with his experience he could come out of boot camp as an E3. If he puts his mind to it he could go ahead and take the NC contractors exam and go in with his license which may bring his rank up. They list the base pay for an E3 at a little over 20k, but that doesn't include any allowances he may be entitled to.

Any experiences?

IT's good training, its fun. I would ( and have hired ) veterans because of their work ethic. Never been disappointed.
Then there is the GI bill money. My daughter got $50K+ out of the GI Bill. IF he decides to do something else later he'll have the money

BJ Conner former 36K20

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
After spending my whole tour on a Sub-tender (AS-39) boy was I in for asurprise when I started on my first electrical job! On the ship, we had 480 VAC for shore power, and phasing was a, b, c, - 1, 2, 3, black, white, and red. We used to remember it as Black, and White, and Red all over, just like a newspaper! Almost got fired trying to make the nuetral a "hot"! Back when ignorance was bliss...

hotwire1955

Navy Seabees! I spent Six years in the Navy, Construction Electrician, you will learn alot . It worked for me' plus it's the best branch of the service.

rlc3854

My question would be has he taken his battery tests yet? If he has spoke to a recuiter and explained what he wanted to do the recuiter should have given options/jobs/training available. My experience has been that the recuiter may say they can give you a E-2 or E-3 upon entering but that doesn't happen until all test scores are in and you have committed to a job that has a higher need (nuclear). Most other MOS/jobs require time in grade and testing to move up. My son in-law had tested for E-6 about 2 months before discharge and a month after discharge got his results "passed" considered returning and contacted the air force about returning and taking the E-6 promotion. They said they would like to have him back but as an E-4 for had a minimum of 6 months then back to E-5 for 1 year and retest for E-6. I guess the saying someone is waiting right behind you for your job is true>

nyerinfl

I got my start in the trade as an electrical apprentice in the Air Force. I did 4 years in, went through apprenticeship program, then on to permanent base where there was a high-voltage shop (utility work), a more ordinary type of installation shop, and a maintenance and repair shop. I worked mostly in the maintenance, and the work is mainly in the commercial and industrial setting.

He will not be working on residential or light commercial type of installations on the bases, so when we gets out he will have to learn the basic residential and commercial wiring methods. Overall though it is a good foundation for theory, ohm's law, and learning about stuff you could only do in the military. The best part about my time in the military was that it applied toward the time needed to get my license.

Tell him to look at the Air Force for becomming an electrician (3E031), it will be the most relevant to real world and focus less on contingency type operations. Seabees as mentioned would be my next pick for being an electrician in the military. Also make sure he doesn't have a fear of heights, because he'll be climbing 40' poles in no time.

BJ Conner

"Also make sure he doesn't have a fear of heights, because he'll be climbing 40' poles in no time. "

You get to kiss your pole good morning and good night, Climb up and dust off the number, hook up at the top and play volley ball.
Those poles had been climbed so much they looked like they had fur on them.
Tehy made great splinters.
NCOs were always telling us we could go to Ft Gordon and climb the 90' poles :mad:

millelec

I went thru the Navy Nuclear training pipeline like Zog. Never regretted it, altho like he said, it's more useful in an industrial background (and not as strong on the installation techniques.)

BJ Conner

Navy Nukes

Navy Nukes

I went thru the Navy Nuclear training pipeline like Zog. Never regretted it, altho like he said, it's more useful in an industrial background (and not as strong on the installation techniques.)

I have hired several Navy Nuke electricans as field engineers when I worked construction. All were great, sound knowledge of electrical systems, smart and they did more work by accident than a lot of "real engineers" did on purpose. :)

tshea

He'll need to take his ASVAB tests and that will determine his MOS/job. He might be able to get a guarantee as an electrician but that could change depending on the military's need.
Getting E-3 out of boot is a challenge. All branches promote to E-2 Eagle Scouts, except the Navy--E-3. There are other ways for meritorious promotions--Top recruit in the series, Highest marksmanship score among a few. Never heard of job skill but that could be a change.
Remember recruiters are trying to meet a quota. I'm not saying they lie, but they are trying to meet a quota.
MOS Training is done well. depends what your job will be. The senior NCOs are the instructors along with civiians. Most of the time you are taught what you need to know to move on. The rest you learn OJT (like the aprenticeship programs).
Just because he has a skill (electrician w/ license) doesn't make him promotable. Promotions consist of time in service and time in grade, leadership skills, performance skills, physical fitness scores.
I spent 11 years in the Marines of which the last 4 were as an Instructor teaching the electrical field mostly field wiring, pole climbing and MEPS (Mobile Electric Power Systems). I would have stayed in and retired but got hurt and was sent packing. I had just gotten promoted to E-7.
Hpefully this helps even though it is basically from a USMC point of view.

gk351

I recently (6mos ago) got out of the Air Force as a 3E0X1 electrician. There is huge bias of which service to join. the Air Force taught me a trade. They didn't want me to be able to drive a tank, shoot missiles, etc. They wanted me to do electrical work. I feel the other services teach you some electrical, and want you to do other wartime items as well. In the Air Force, when you are not in war, you provide base electrical system maintenance. This applies (generally) from the base substation, down to the light switch in the Commanders office! I have travelled the world( including Greenland), worked on many systems, and learned a lot. What some of the others might not mention, Navy Seabees and Army prime Power go through the Air Force's Electrical Systems Apprentice School!! If you want some more AF Electrical input, feel free to email!!

Electron_Sam78

I also got my start in the USAF electrical systems career field. I spent 4 years in the service and my training in the AF has done me well over the last 10 years. We also had Seabee's in our class at Sheppard AFB, TX. I would of course recommend the AF for trades. I got a lot of valuable industrial and commercial experience in those 4 years but as previouly said residential would have to be learned on the outside for the most part.

BAHTAH

Military Training

Military Training

Any experiences?

I am 65yrs old now and have been an electrical contractor since I was 23. I joined the USN SeaBees when I was 17 and I couldn't spell electrician when I joined the Navy. After taking a battery of tests I was told I had an aptitude for electrical work, what ever that was. I see you are back east so if your son joined the SeaBees he could end up in NMCB3 where I served, on the west coast. The schools are excellent and there is plenty of work to be done. If he stays until retirement he would not be disappointed. If he serves one hitch, when he gets out he has the GI Bill to help get a college degree. I know several SeaBee electricians who are now electrical engineers. Check out my site shown at the bottom and you can see a few shots of our Battalion (NMCB3) when we were in Chu Lai, 1966. Your son will learn more than just how to be an electrician.

BAHTAH

Military Electrician

Military Electrician

Any experiences?

I served with the SeaBees (NMCB3) as an electrician CEP3-E4. I Joined the Navy when I was 17, the schools are excellent and when your son serves he will learn much more than just how to be an electrician. When he is discharged he will have the GI Bill to help him buy his first home and money for college. I know several SeaBee electricians who are now electrical engineers. He will make some life long friends and share in a well deserved pride of country and service. I am now 65 yrs old and retiring after being an electrical contractor for many years. Check out my site to see some photos of NMCB3 in Chu Lai, 1966.

http://nmcb3-chulai.blogspot.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.