Area controversy around sizing of GEC for ground rod

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbalsam1

Recently, an inspector in upstate New York state failed an inspection where the electrical contractor had installed a service of 600 amperes. It was just a pedestal service, no building, foundation or water main involved. Just a pair of ground rods 5/8" X 8'. The contractor installed #4 cu to the rods and when the inspector showed, he failed him and demanded that the contractor install something in the neighborhood of 1/0 cu to the rods.
What's up with this kind of thinking?

jumper

Why 4#? Assuming CU. Sole connection, right?

250.66(A) Connections to Rod, Pipe, or Plate Electrodes.
Where the grounding electrode conductor is connected to
rod, pipe, or plate electrodes as permitted in 250.52(A)(5)
or (A)(7), that portion of the conductor that is the sole connection
to the grounding electrode shall not be required to be
larger than 6 AWG copper wire or 4 AWG aluminum wire.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It gets more confusing because many times engineers on commercial jobs req. 3/0 to the rods so if the inspector sees a lot of that he may think the rod GEC needs to be the same size as 250.66 calls out.

wbalsam1

All the power utility companies that I know of in New York State require a minimum size of #4 cu for the GEC for rods even though the NEC permits #6.

gndrod

Code rule?

Code rule?

Recently, an inspector in upstate New York state failed an inspection where the electrical contractor had installed a service of 600 amperes. It was just a pedestal service, no building, foundation or water main involved. Just a pair of ground rods 5/8" X 8'. The contractor installed #4 cu to the rods and when the inspector showed, he failed him and demanded that the contractor install something in the neighborhood of 1/0 cu to the rods.
What's up with this kind of thinking?

What was the inspector's code reference and or reasoning?

wbalsam1

Pathetic.

Pathetic.

What was the inspector's code reference and or reasoning?

Believe it or not, he actually worried that the # 4 would not be able to clear a fault. The contractor tried to explain to him that the grounded conductor would function to do that...but he insisted the grounding electrode conductor was too small for the size of the service.
The way the story was related to me....he would not believe any other inspector, either and created quite a stir until the NFPA got involved and resolved in the contractor's favor.

Pathetic, if you ask me.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This guys is not only uneducated, I can deal with that, but he is bull headed. I would love to hook up a 3/0 copper to a rod directly from a breaker and show him that it won't clear the fault-- at least in most soils.

OregonSE

This topic has come up hear in Oregon with the installation of the GEC . Example 200 amp service; When installing the GEC, if looping through the acorn clamp on the first rod and then to the second,The GEC would need to be a # 4 cpr AWG. Considering the connection between the 2 ground rods to be a bond and would be sized per 250.122 Option 2, run 2 seperate # 6 AWG cpr from the MDP to the individual rods. Some inspectors are looking for this.

Why 4#? Assuming CU. Sole connection, right?

250.66(A) Connections to Rod, Pipe, or Plate Electrodes.
Where the grounding electrode conductor is connected to
rod, pipe, or plate electrodes as permitted in 250.52(A)(5)
or (A)(7), that portion of the conductor that is the sole connection
to the grounding electrode shall not be required to be
larger than 6 AWG copper wire or 4 AWG aluminum wire.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
This topic has come up hear in Oregon with the installation of the GEC . Example 200 amp service; When installing the GEC, if looping through the acorn clamp on the first rod and then to the second,The GEC would need to be a # 4 cpr AWG. Considering the connection between the 2 ground rods to be a bond and would be sized per 250.122 Option 2, run 2 seperate # 6 AWG cpr from the MDP to the individual rods. Some inspectors are looking for this.

More inspectors that need some Continuing Education classes. Where do they find these guys?

jumper

I am not sure I understand this.

250.122 has nothing to do with a GEC.

Maybe he meant 250.102. I dunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.