CAFCI breakers and elctric heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riograndeelectric

Has any one experienced any troubles using electric portable space heaters & tripping CAFCI circuits?

I have a job to install 3 dedicated 20a circuits for 3 bedrooms so Tennant's can plug in electric space heaters
Thanks.
Cameron

ceb58

My son and his wife use a small ceramic elect. heater in their bed room to keep from running the gas heat so much at night. They have not had any problems with the AFCI.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
All you can do is install the receptacle and hope for the best or talk them into a fixed baseboard unit. That is what I would do-- no afci

kwired

Electron manager
Just make sure the baseboard or cove heaters are 240 volts otherwise I don't see how you can get away from needing AFCI if on a 15 or 20 amp 120 volt branch circuit.

Doesn't make a lot of sense but that is the way it is worded.

My opinion - install a permant heater you may save a family from a tragedy. I don't care how safe a portable heater claims to be they still are as bad as the weakest link in the circuit supplying them and when part of it is a portable cord the risk just goes up.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Has any one experienced any troubles using electric portable space heaters & tripping CAFCI circuits?
I probably shouldn't say this, for jinxing myself, BUT, last summer I installed a couple circuits at a client's house for that exact use this, and subsequent, winter.

Neither he nor his wife have called yet. And I'm sure they enjoy the use of their portable electric heaters.

Status
Not open for further replies.