Class I Div II boundry seal

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmargolis79

I have a building that is class I div II rated only on the inside. I need to mount a light outside above the door. We are using a light rated for class I Div II. Do I need a seal for the boundry from inside to outside the area for the rated light?

My thought that as long as it is inside the 10 foot radius of were i would need a seal I don't have to.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I have a building that is class I div II rated only on the inside. I need to mount a light outside above the door. We are using a light rated for class I Div II. Do I need a seal for the boundry from inside to outside the area for the rated light?

My thought that as long as it is inside the 10 foot radius of were i would need a seal I don't have to.
Highlighted statements have no bearing AFAICT.

IIRC, this is a gray area in the code. C1D2 lighting fixtures are not XP, so a seal for entering an XP enclosure is moot. Next, a seal is required in a conduit run passing from C1D2 into unclassified area. The decision ultimatum rests solely on whether the conduit actually protrudes into the unclassified area....

An example of where it may not is a wall pack mounted tight to wall, but hub entry protrudes out from back and a counter bore-type recess had to be made for the fixture to be mounted tight to the wall. The conduit run never passes into the unclassified area.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Highlighted statements have no bearing AFAICT.

IIRC, this is a gray area in the code. C1D2 lighting fixtures are not XP, so a seal for entering an XP enclosure is moot. Next, a seal is required in a conduit run passing from C1D2 into unclassified area. The decision ultimatum rests solely on whether the conduit actually protrudes into the unclassified area....

An example of where it may not is a wall pack mounted tight to wall, but hub entry protrudes out from back and a counter bore-type recess had to be made for the fixture to be mounted tight to the wall. The conduit run never passes into the unclassified area.
Good answer. The minor comment I would make is isn't a "gray area." Essentially Section 501.15(B) and its Subsection 501.15(B)(2) say you shall have a boundary seal and it shall be within 10' of the boundary and, in the case of the OP, none of the exceptions apply.

jmargolis79

So would the correct install have a boundry seal inside the rated (inside the building) area but within 10 feet of the boundry?

If this is correct would I even need a rated light as long as it's outside of the rated building? Only the inside of the building is rated.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Good answer. The minor comment I would make is isn't a "gray area." Essentially Section 501.15(B) and its Subsection 501.15(B)(2) say you shall have a boundary seal and it shall be within 10' of the boundary and, in the case of the OP, none of the exceptions apply.
Yes, but 501.15(B)(2) states the condition upon which the seal is required as "In each conduit run passing from a C1D2 location into an unclassified location." If the boundary is the wall, and the conduit run terminates at the boundary, the requirement?as stated?does not apply.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
So would the correct install have a boundry seal inside the rated (inside the building) area but within 10 feet of the boundry?

If this is correct would I even need a rated light as long as it's outside of the rated building? Only the inside of the building is rated.
Debatable or not, I would take the safer approach and install a seal inside and a non-rated fixture outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.