Free Estimates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

satcom

In residential service the average invoice may be as low as $500 with a net profit below 10%. Even if you raise the average invoice and net profit, what is 90 minutes of your time and truck worth? Free estimates can have a major effect on the bottom line.

Large projects, net profits over 25% and commercial maintenance are another story.

Yes free estimates on residential can have a major effect on the bottom line, 90 minutes of overhead and operating expenses, can cost plus or minus $ 180. Throw that much on the street a few times a week, and you may reach the bottom in no time at all.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
It depends.

I try to hint over the phone that the cheapest bid may not be the best bid.

If it seems like a slim chance of a good profit I may still go but only convenient to my schedule, sometimes say I'll call them when I'm in their area.

But it can be a good way to generate leads, sometimes just having my truck in their driveway will lead to work for a neighbor.

tryinghard

I think this is just a business plan item, if you give these track em for a strech of time like a year and make addjustments according to the results.

stevenje

Sometimes you even have to pay for plans so you can give a free estimate.

Tim,
This is a new on me. You have to buy a set of prints from the GC so you can bid the project? Interesting concept. I guess it cuts down on the number of subs bidding a particular project. How much does a set of bid prints cost?

tryinghard

I have never been able to charge for an estimate in the commercial/industrial world.
Sometimes you even have to pay for plans so you can give a free estimate.
It's the cost of doing buisness and covered by the overhead.
We used to belong to a few differant builders exchanges for this reason, with these you pay annual members dues but you can access plans and specs for bidding, like you say it's overhead.

tkb

Tim,
This is a new on me. You have to buy a set of prints from the GC so you can bid the project? Interesting concept. I guess it cuts down on the number of subs bidding a particular project. How much does a set of bid prints cost?

This started hapening years ago, but I haven't seen it for a while.
Now you download and print them yourself.

Either way it costs you for the printing.
Some plan sets I have recieved were 4" in diameter for the full sets.

stevenje

Ugh - we did a hospital and the full set plans came in on a pallet (full)
That's pretty amazing! Many years ago I worked on a new project (50,000 sq/ft) for a large defense contractor and there were 35 pages of just electrical prints. Layers upon layers of different electrical systems. Interesting project to work on.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
there was a commercial on tv last night, a large plumbing company was offering a residential "tuneup" for $79, includes small adjustments (faucet washers?) and recommendations.

I wonder how many houses they go to and don't recommend expensive work?

So I guess some of the flat-rate electrical contractors are doing something similiar, instead of going out for free estimates on little stuff, offer an evaluation of electrical system, maybe tighten lugs in panel as part of the deal. And give a free estimate on original request. And suggest further work, maybe even a surge suppressor if the house doesn't need anything else.

Sparky555

there was a commercial on tv last night, a large plumbing company was offering a residential "tuneup" for $79, includes small adjustments (faucet washers?) and recommendations.

I wonder how many houses they go to and don't recommend expensive work?

So I guess some of the flat-rate electrical contractors are doing something similiar, instead of going out for free estimates on little stuff, offer an evaluation of electrical system, maybe tighten lugs in panel as part of the deal. And give a free estimate on original request. And suggest further work, maybe even a surge suppressor if the house doesn't need anything else.

This is a loss-leader. It works when the person doing the tune-up is skilled at sales. The main difference is that it starts with a $79 fee, not free.

cdslotz

We just bid a job where the GC provided a link to the drawings which we uploaded and set them to the reprographics company to be plotted and delivered. That was over $800. We converted the pdf's to TIF's in-house to avoid the conversion fees, which took one estimator all day to do.
We bid the job which took 4 estimators a week to take off. That estimate probably cost us $6-7K to perform.
We did not get the job. We move on to the next one.

Overhead..

walkerj

We just bid a job where the GC provided a link to the drawings which we uploaded and set them to the reprographics company to be plotted and delivered. That was over $800. We converted the pdf's to TIF's in-house to avoid the conversion fees, which took one estimator all day to do.
We bid the job which took 4 estimators a week to take off. That estimate probably cost us $6-7K to perform.

Overhead..

My neighbor/good buddy is our estimator and this is one of the things that raises the stress level very high on the bigger jobs.
It is a huge let-down to spend all this time and paper for no reward.

bradleyelectric

Overhead..

I believe the OP was referring to free estimates for residential service work as is the norm when it is brought up. There is a big difference between spending $75. to bid a $300 job and $7k to bid a $1mil. job isn't there?

laketime

I believe the OP was referring to free estimates for residential service work as is the norm when it is brought up. There is a big difference between spending $75. to bid a $300 job and $7k to bid a $1mil. job isn't there?

Yeah one your out $75 and the other your out $7k :roll:

It's the risk reward concept. Applies to both projects in our business as I see it.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
This is a loss-leader. It works when the person doing the tune-up is skilled at sales. The main difference is that it starts with a $79 fee, not free.
right, turn that free into $79 and the possibility of more work. and cull out window-shoppers, only offer free estimate if the buy the $79 evaluation.

I usually give free estimates but then again I have lots of free time.

bradleyelectric

Yeah one your out $75 and the other your out $7k :roll:

It's the risk reward concept. Applies to both projects in our business as I see it.

The way I see it to give a free estimate that costs 25% of the value of the job doesn't make a lot of sense. To give an estimate that costs nearly 1% of the job is a little easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.