110.26(a)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Would you consider a dry type transformer, 480V delta - 208y/120 with no OCPD's or controls installed in the transformer enclosure to fall under 110.26?

Thanks.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
LOL, I would have said no but I never maintain, service, examine,....If that truly is the case then I guess so.

What about an air handler in an attic or crawlspace. Do we have to maintain the height of 110.26(A). I always thought this section had more to do with services etc, but it clearly does not state that.

iwire

Staff member
IMPO no it does not.

II. 600 Volts, Nominal, or Less
110.26 Spaces About Electrical Equipment. Sufficient
access and working space shall be provided and maintained
about all electrical equipment to permit ready and safe operation
and maintenance of such equipment.
(A) Working Space. Working space for equipment operating
at 600 volts, nominal, or less to ground and likely to
require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance
while energized
shall comply with the dimensions of
110.26(A)(1), (A)(2), and (A)(3) or as required or permitted
elsewhere in this Code.

When is a transformer likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized?

Not much to service while energized and OSHA would likely not permit it anyway.

Furthermore the code allows transformers to be mounted above ceilings and up high on columns which makes compliance with 110.26 all but imposable.

chris kennedy

Occupation
I would also say no. I have a situation where my electric room shrank and now I will only have 36" between the cover on the tranny where you access the lugs and a 208 panelboard. The only time I could picture the cover being off of this type of unit while energized would be for thermal imaging which I would consider 'highly unlikely'.

iwire

Staff member
I have seen enough flash marks on covers to keep me from trying to open transformers while energized.

Here is an example

Darwin8.jpg

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
All the inspectors I know of in this area do not consider transformers to fall under the 110.26 rule.

cpal

Well
examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance

Does thermal imaging fall under any of these functions?

If not then I would agree that 110.26 is not applicable.

Iwire should remember 1 Beacon Street.

Not saying it was an OSHA compliant maintenance function, (don't want to judge I was not there) but it was a maintenance function.

Is there a delay in posting? when I post lately I never see it under new posts??? Makes it hard to follow a conversation.

Last edited:

chris kennedy

Occupation
Does thermal imaging fall under any of these functions?

This IMO does not fall under 110.26's "likely".

Is there a delay in posting? when I post lately I never see it under new posts??? Makes it hard to follow a conversation.
Don't click on "Whats New?". Click on "Forum" then "Quick Links" and 'Today's Posts'. Much easier to follow along.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
When I design an electrical room's layout, I do not make a special effort to put "working space" around a transformer. I leave 6" from the nearest wall, and then make sure the transformer does not interfere with any panel's working space.

raider1

Staff member
I will throw out my .02 cents.:)

I don't feel that a transformer requires the working space specified in 110.26(A).

The general working space requirement in 110.26 is all that is required.

Chris

hurk27

Any new post will not show up in "new post" if you have been to the page, I use subscribed post as a bookmark on my desktop to log into the forum and then go from there,

It helps me see any new post to any post I have replied too.

Book mark this link:
http://forums.mikeholt.com/subscription.php?do=viewsubscription

Status
Not open for further replies.