North Carolina Qualifiers

Status
Not open for further replies.

x743

Hi all,
I've done some searching and can not seem to find a good answer to my question so thought I would ask....

About a year ago I took and passed the unlimited North Carolina Electrical Contracting test. This was something totally done on my own, giving me a plan B, needed some day, if opening a shop was ever an option.

Now moving forward a year, the contractor I'm with would like to list me as a qualifier on their license in North Carolina.

My question is what type of liability am I opening myself up to? Is it the same as if I was the license owner? What type of value would be placed on being a listed qualifier for the shop?

ceb58

Hi all,
I've done some searching and can not seem to find a good answer to my question so thought I would ask....

About a year ago I took and passed the unlimited North Carolina Electrical Contracting test. This was something totally done on my own, giving me a plan B, needed some day, if opening a shop was ever an option.

Now moving forward a year, the contractor I'm with would like to list me as a qualifier on their license in North Carolina.

My question is what type of liability am I opening myself up to? Is it the same as if I was the license owner? What type of value would be placed on being a listed qualifier for the shop?

You are not opening your self to any thing as long as the permits are pulled under the company's name. It just means your employer can send you on a job with a crew of helpers and you can supervise the work. The contractor who has the license doesn't have to oversee the work and he is taking the liability by saying you are qualified to oversee the work.

Now if he wants you to pull permits under your name and license then that is another story.

1) At least one listed qualified individual shall be regularly employed by the applicant at each separate place of business to have the specific duty and authority to supervise and direct electrical contracting done by or in the name of the licensee

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would talk to a lawyer first, however this is commonly done in companies that have multiple locations. I would be surprised if there were not some risk involved.

ceb58

I would talk to a lawyer first, however this is commonly done in companies that have multiple locations. I would be surprised if there were not some risk involved.

I dont see the liability of him being listed as a qualified individual as long as he is listed under the contractors name.
My license are under my company's name with me being the qualified individual. Now if I wanted I could add my son as a qualified individual. But the company would be liable for his actions. Just like you your license list you as a qualified individual and you can list others under your license as qualified individuals but your company is ultimately responsible in the end.

guitarchris

I think I would call Raleigh on this one. Let us know what you find out. I would bet that you as the qualifier hold responsibility. When we switched from my Brother being our qualifier to me our license number listed with the state changed to mine.

Buck Parrish

I agree with ceb , and it is required yet rarely enforced.

1) At least one listed qualified individual shall be regularly employed by the applicant at each separate place of business to have the specific duty and authority to supervise and direct electrical contracting done by or in the name of the licensee

jwjrw

I agree with ceb , and it is required yet rarely enforced.

They enforce the qualified individual employed at each location all the time. Do you ever read the newsletter they send out every quarter? It always has one or two people nailed for that offense. What they don't enforce is a qualified person on each job.

Buck Parrish

They enforce the qualified individual employed at each location all the time. Do you ever read the newsletter they send out every quarter? It always has one or two people nailed for that offense. What they don't enforce is a qualified person on each job.

I think that's what the OP was refering to.

DaveBowden

IMO there is a difference between being a person who is qualified to work for a cantractor and being the qualifier who makes it possible for the company to be a contractor. And I think the qualifier is responsible for everything the qualified people do.

cadpoint

I've been playing around with this for two days. Based of a linked search engine.

It's not clear to find something that exactly answers your question but I'm sure it's covered in the State Statutes from the search engine results which gave using the same as: Small business, business laws & regulations; the engine said to go to

Chapter 25: Uniform Commercial Code or

Chapter 66: Commerce and Business

Off of 66, qualifier gave these results using the word inside the States search Here

Read 66.68...

There is some pretty good and odd reading in here... :)

Knowledge is good reading and salvage "no more than 25 lbs of copper in truck without a sales receipt".

I'd truely recommend that one retain a Lawyer.

Good Luck with your association! :)

Last edited:

x743

Gentalmen,
Thank you for your responses.

If anyone has found a good lawyer they have worked with in the Raleigh area, please let me know.

Seth

ceb58

Gentalmen,
Thank you for your responses.

If anyone has found a good lawyer they have worked with in the Raleigh area, please let me know.

Seth

Before you spend money on a lawyer call the contracting board in Raleigh. They can explane the laws because they wrote them. Then if you still feel the need for a lawyer then do so.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Before you spend money on a lawyer call the contracting board in Raleigh. They can explane the laws because they wrote them. Then if you still feel the need for a lawyer then do so.

I agree with Curtis, they have always been very helpfull in my dealings with them.

Roger

tyha

I do agree that if you list your name as a qualifier that whatever YOU do can and will reflect on the companys license ( electrically speaking) but I would be worried about if something was done not concerning you and the license was put on probation. Would that follow you around even if you took your name off. if you find one of the offenders in the news letter and then do a license search on the NCBEEC.ORG site you will see below their name it has all the details of their infraction. And it stays there as long as the license is on probation or whatever. I would be worried about that following me. I used to think that if you had a bona fide employee that held a license you were required to place thier name on yours as a qualifier. This isnt the case as i have had several over the years. *** At least I hope its not required *** EEEEE

Status
Not open for further replies.