LOTO and pouring of conduit and cable seals

Status
Not open for further replies.

natfuelbill

Does the NEC and OSHA provide anywhere for allowing a hazardous fluid into an area prior to pouring of sealing fittings? *Where?

cadpoint

The first thing that struck me about this is where's the CO for this area for even anyone to do this? An example is the fire alarm and other safety eqiupment up and running an all in place?

I don't think there's an exact match to your question but one can look and read about some of the the requirements of work place safety via OSHA look around the
1926._ _'s, this area is more reflective of work place safety during construction.

If you use electricial in search there's 298 doc's to pour through.
If you use electric in search there's 2393 doc's...

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Does the NEC and OSHA provide anywhere for allowing a hazardous fluid into an area prior to pouring of sealing fittings? *Where?
The NEC does not speak to the issue directly; however, various Fed or State Process Safety Management (PSM) rules will address worker safety in most cases where hazardous or toxic materials are used. In this case ?hazardous? means more than ?explosive.? As often is also the case here, specific application details of the installation need to be known since there is no general answer.

natfuelbill

Of any various methods of administering and coordinating pouring of seals, can anyone think of a better way than LOTO (best?) way to ensure boundary seals are poured prior to bringing the hazardous substance into the area, and to ensure seals on enclosure requires to be explosionproof are poured prior to being energized?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
LOTO doesn't guarantee that seals have been poured properly either. Neither does inspection actually. I have seen a few methods that improve the chances that seals are poured and inspected, but nothing that guarantees that it "perfect."

Status
Not open for further replies.