Commercial coffee machine disconnect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris1971

I will be installing a three phase, 120/208 volt 40 amp circuit for a restaurant coffee machine. My questions are: do I need to have a disconnect for this unit? (FYI: electrical panel is 25' away not in sight and no space for a disconnect). Can I hard wire the coffee machine without disconnect. Thought about a cord and plug but, the plug and receptacle would have to be a five wire because the coffee machine needs a neutral. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

jumper

I will be installing a three phase, 120/208 volt 40 amp circuit for a restaurant coffee machine. My questions are: do I need to have a disconnect for this unit? (FYI: electrical panel is 25' away not in sight and no space for a disconnect). Can I hard wire the coffee machine without disconnect. Thought about a cord and plug but, the plug and receptacle would have to be a five wire because the coffee machine needs a neutral. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

422.31(B) Appliances Rated over 300 Volt-Amperes or 1⁄8
Horsepower. For permanently connected appliances rated
over 300 volt-amperes or 1⁄8 hp, the branch-circuit switch or
circuit breaker shall be permitted to serve as the disconnecting
means where the switch or circuit breaker is within
sight from the appliance or is capable of being locked in the
open position. The provision for locking or adding a lock to
the disconnecting means shall be installed on or at the
switch or circuit breaker used as the disconnecting means
and shall remain in place with or without the lock installed

jrohe

Occupation
Professional Engineer
Per 2008 NEC section 422.31(B), as long as the coffee machine does not contain any motors rated more than 1/8 horsepower, the disconnecting means can be a circuit breaker that is lockable in the open position, as long as that locking means remains in place with or without the lock installed.

chris1971

So basically I can hard wire the coffee machine and use the breaker as a disconnecting means? I don't think the coffee machine has a motor on it. Just three, 5 kw heating elements.

chris1971

thank you. I will install a breaker lock kit. Is it acceptable to have the panel door lockable instead of the breaker lock kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.