Had.....Sally : Opposite/Hypotenuse = Sine

A
Heck....Chasing : Adjacent/Hypotenuse = Cosine

Of
A........Time : Opposite/Adjacent = Tangent

EEC

Textbook Algebra?

Textbook Algebra?

When I was preparing for my journeymans and masters exams I would practice generating the Ohm's law and Power wheels by starting with the base formulas E=IxR and P=IxE. Then by using algebraic manipulation you can come up with the rest of the equations.

For example using E=IxR we manipulate the equation so that we get R by itself by dividing both sides by I and you will get R=E/I.

Chris

What section of textbook algebra deals with using two separate equations variables to come up with the rest of the equations?

raider1

Staff member
What section of textbook algebra deals with using two separate equations variables to come up with the rest of the equations?

When you start with 2 equations that both contain one or two common values you can combine the 2 equations.

For example we start with E=IxR and P=IxE so the common value is I & E. Now if I want to find P when I know resistant and amperage then we must combine the 2 formulas. so by using algebraic manipulation we know that I=E/R so we can replace the I in P=IxE with P=(ExE)/R.

Chris

EEC

Can you show those examples using formula with square root of PXR and P/R?

When you start with 2 equations that both contain one or two common values you can combine the 2 equations.

For example we start with E=IxR and P=IxE so the common value is I & E. Now if I want to find P when I know resistant and amperage then we must combine the 2 formulas. so by using algebraic manipulation we know that I=E/R so we can replace the I in P=IxE with P=(ExE)/R.

Chris

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
powerWheel.gif

EEC

Show Algebra Steps

Show Algebra Steps

Anybody can look at the ohms law wheel. Show algebra steps for those formulas using square roots.

EEC

He is looking to find the formulas when the wheel isn't present...[/QUOTE]

Show all the steps when using the 4 variables P, E, I & R between the two equations for Power and Voltage

EEC

The steps when you cross reference the two basic equations E=IR & P=IE

The steps when you cross reference the two basic equations E=IR & P=IE

When you want find E when you have P & R, or I when you have P & R

PetrosA

Just my two cents...

Ohm's Law and the math has been something I've struggled with over the years many times in spite of having been qualified for gifted programs in school since second grade (IOW, the intelligence level should be adequate). I learned one of the hardest languages in the world as an adult well enough to translate books and I'm very good at a lot of things but I've had problems with all forms of math since first grade and never made it into advanced math courses in high school (trig, calculus etc.).

I understand both sides of the story. I've had to carry a cheat sheet of Ohm's Law with me to function but I also agree with Zog that this is a lack of qualified teaching. No one has ever been able to explain the concepts to me in a way that allows me to grasp it like I can the four apples. I had pre-geometry and geometry in school for three years and never "got" it until the summer when I learned to bend EMT. My brain obviously need that to move forward.

It's frustrating not to feel like I can master this, but I need it for work so I just keep my Ugly's book handy and carry on. I also know that there's still a chance for me to really learn it if the right explanation comes along.

EEC

What I am looking for example

What I am looking for example

You know P, R Find E
E/R=IR/R
E/R=I

P=E/R*E
P=E^2/R
P*R=E^2/R*R
Square Root of (P*R)=Square root of E^2
Square Root of (P*R)=E Answer

Can you follow this format for P, R Find I
P, I Find R
E, P Find R
I, R find P

marti smith

When it comes to math, just give me an abacus and I'm fine, really- I had to memorize the 12. Keep in mind that while code changes and interpretations as well, methods, hardware, changes- but not theory. No matter how you learn it.

Status
Not open for further replies.