• No because I am not required to be

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • No because I expect the inspector to call me personally

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ivsenroute

As an EC, do you make it a point to be present when the job you did gets inspected?

Are you required to be present?

If you are not present, how are you notified of the results?

Do you have the expectation that you don't have to be present and after the inspector puts everything in writing and leaves the paperwork at the jobsite, he/she has to call you on the phone and explain everything?

Please elaborate.........

raider1

Staff member
I will respond as an inspector.

It is not required in my area for the electrician to be present for the inspection. It is the responsibility of the electrician to provide access to the project and provide lifts and ladders if necessary for the inspection.

If the electrician is present it is fine by me and it can be a benefit for the electrician as they can fix any minor violations that may be present so that they may not have to have a re-inspect.

If the electrician is not present I will write up a list of any violations and leave it on the job site.

Chris

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Most of our jobs are done in phases / progresive inpections all the way to the final so we are there anyways.

Roger

iwire

Staff member
Changes all the time, big jobs as Roger said, medium size jobs very likely we will be there, the smaller jobs I try not to be there for, to much cost to do so.

renosteinke

Being present during an inspection has been a boon on many occasions ... even when it's not "my" inspection. Here are some examples:

1) It was a fire inspection where I learned about the ICC requirement for egress lighting;

2) Moments before one electrical inspection, the counter guys came in and added a layer of steel to a counter. At inspection, the GFCI wouldn't reset. Yup, I was able to move the device out of contact with the just-added metal, and not need to call for reinspection;

3) Installing an Ansul system, the system contractor was determined to fail and blame it on -you guessed it- me. I didn't know the guy from Adam ... yet he was intent on running up his fees (additional visits cost more) and was determined to 'punish' the GC for not using his 'pet' electrician. At the last instant (15 minutes before inspection) he showed up with components I needed to install (defective ones at that - which he tried to blame on my wiring), a print that had never been seen on the site before, and was spouting 'code requirements' that are not to be found in ANY codebook or standard. Amazingly enough, the fire inspector had never read the applicable code, and neither of them had a copy. Luckily, I did - on the truck- and the GC was rather amused at the way the 'ambush' backfired;

4) A health inspector was not sure my wiring practices were appropriate. The refrigeration guy was certain I had it wrong. Again, having the health code in hand and being present solved that question; and,

5) Due to budget cuts in this bad economy, the building inspectors were laid off and their places taken by parks department employees. No, I am not making this up. So my last service change was inspected by a well-intentioned sort who had no idea what to look for. I was able to produce the NEC and PoCo rules, and walk him through it. It was a good thing, as he was thrown off by the presence of GFCI breakers in the panel as well as the presence of two ground rods.

zog

I voted yes because the only interaction I have with inspectors is usually a GFP test that is required to be witnessed.

RICK NAPIER

As an inspector a contractor does not to be there unless specific tests need to be perforrmed and witnessed, at least in NJ. I also leave a sticker with the results and add pages if necessary.

shepelec

There are some ECs that I will only do an inspection for if they are present.
This due to all of the budget cuts, the town won't allow me to use all of the paper to write up the violations.:roll:

On my own jobs, I will try to get the inspection while I'm on the job but I won't make a special trip.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I didn't vote in the poll, as I am present sometimes, and sometimes not. Reasons to be present,
  1. Nobody else, or no procedure, is available to get the inspector into the job site.
  2. The work is scattered around an existing occupancy and it's easier to show than tell.
  3. I'm interested in talking with the inspector, either personally or about a question of Code.
  4. I'm continuing additional work and am already on the site anyway.
Reasons not to be present,
  1. The work is mundane and has only well studied Code covering its installation.
  2. A responsible party is always present to let the inspector in during regular inspection hours.
  3. It's not always easy to get an inspector (in this area) to set an appointment. . . they'd rather do in spections back to back, and can never predict, with certainty, how long any particular inspection will take.
  4. I don't have any work left to do at this jobsite and would rather put in some billable hours elsewhere.

nyerinfl

I didn't vote in the poll, as I am present sometimes, and sometimes not. Reasons to be present,
  1. Nobody else, or no procedure, is available to get the inspector into the job site.
  2. The work is scattered around an existing occupancy and it's easier to show than tell.
  3. I'm interested in talking with the inspector, either personally or about a question of Code.
  4. I'm continuing additional work and am already on the site anyway.
Reasons not to be present,
  1. The work is mundane and has only well studied Code covering its installation.
  2. A responsible party is always present to let the inspector in during regular inspection hours.
  3. It's not always easy to get an inspector (in this area) to set an appointment. . . they'd rather do in spections back to back, and can never predict, with certainty, how long any particular inspection will take.
  4. I don't have any work left to do at this jobsite and would rather put in some billable hours elsewhere.

I second this post. It's also tough to be present for two inspections on the same day, gotta pick the more important one to be at.

ceknight

As an EC, do you make it a point to be present when the job you did gets inspected?....

Well, someone is required on site to let the inspector in, and that someone is pretty much always me. I only do residential, have no employees, and the customers are usually at work. ;)

Our various inspectors are pretty good about keeping appointments, it's rare when I have to stand around waiting for them.

stevenje

5) Due to budget cuts in this bad economy, the building inspectors were laid off and their places taken by parks department employees. No, I am not making this up.

Simply amazing! I can just hear it now. One of the park employees sits down to dinner with his wife and she says, " How was your day dear?" He responds in a casual voice, "Oh it was pretty good. I mowed a few parks, trimmed a few trees and got promoted to chief electrical inspector." She repies, "That's nice dear. It sounds like you had a busy day."

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I voted no as I never meet the inspector but I don't expect him/her to call me unless they have a question. Usually the builder or ho will be there to meet the inspector.

I don't care to waste my time hanging around being social. Let them look- if they have a question they can call, if there is a problem I will take care of it.

laketime

I will respond as an inspector.

It is not required in my area for the electrician to be present for the inspection. It is the responsibility of the electrician to provide access to the project and provide lifts and ladders if necessary for the inspection.

If the electrician is present it is fine by me and it can be a benefit for the electrician as they can fix any minor violations that may be present so that they may not have to have a re-inspect.

If the electrician is not present I will write up a list of any violations and leave it on the job site.

Chris

That is why I am always present during the inspection. That and a little friendly conversation to stop him from looking too hard :roll:

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I'm not always there but I want to be, the local multi inspectors find less wrong if I am there. Also they're sometimes hard to contact if I want a code citation.

So I try to still have something to do on the job on inspection day so that I will be there.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
That is why I am always present during the inspection. That and a little friendly conversation to stop him from looking too hard :roll:

I'm not always there but I want to be, the local multi inspectors find less wrong if I am there. Also they're sometimes hard to contact if I want a code citation.

So I try to still have something to do on the job on inspection day so that I will be there.

For the reasons stated above, from an inspectors viewpoint, I prefer when the electrican is not there ;)
I have had them lead me from areas they wish I did not see or "chatter" so I pay less attention.
Over the years I had somewhat developed a method of asking them, if present, to let me complete my inspection (in silence) and then we will hold discussions.
When I do find violations I leave fairly detailed notes. If I have questions, I call.

480sparky

I prefer to be present.

Not to distract the person from the task at hand, but to make sure I know what is needed to be corrected. 99-44/100% of the time, it's something so simple & basic that it can be corrected before the inspector leaves. Missing 4S cover, or loose recep in the wall... little stuff like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.