Wood/metal stud (hybrid) construction and NM-B

Status
Not open for further replies.

PetrosA

I came across something today for the first time outside my usual work region. Residential construction using a hybrid of wood and metal framing on the interior walls with what appears to be an intent of using bays framed with metal for delivery of air (IOW, there are no ducts installed). Not all of the bays framed with metal studs were for air handling. Romex was used throughout and many of the boxes in the interior walls had their clamp holes sealed with foam insulation as were any grommets I saw in the attic.

They used the typical plastic grommets where the NM-B passed through steel and luckily I carry 3/4" snap-in grommets on my truck and was able to use them from the attic down into a wall.

My question is about penetrating up from the basement though... It seems like they laid a metal channel down on the wood subfloor and ran both their metal and wood studs from there. If I need to penetrate that channel from below, what's the best way to protect romex from the edges of the channel after I've drilled up through it? It's too thick to use any kind of snap-in grommet that I've seen. Anyone with experience in this kind of building method have any ideas to share?

Thanks

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
From the bottom up I drill a 1 1/4 or 1 3/4 hole through the wood only, stopping my hole just before it completely penetrates and pop the wood disc out, then switch to a 7/8 or 1 1/8 hole saw to cut the metal and snap in a 1/2 or 3/4 plastic grommet.

If you can go from the top down I do it the opposite and drill a big hole in the metal first and then small in the wood sub-floor.

iwire

Staff member
I use a hole saw larger than 1" to drill out the metal, once the metal is out of the way I use a wood bit 1" or smaller to drill the wood, the wood holds the NM(s) away from the metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.