Sizing a Neutral for a Sub Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmeek

Occupation
Electrician
I am wanting to know how you would size a neutral to a sub panel that you are installing for 3phase loads only. I know the code says to run a neutral also, But how do you come up with the correct size. The feeder I am running is a 200A 3phase. I am running 3-3/0 thhn for L1,L2, L3 and a #6 EGC. Any help would be appreciated.

wmeek

Occupation
Electrician
Sorry I was thinking of the service disconnect where code says you have to run a neutral conductor. Suppose you wanted to run a neutral to a sub panel for future single phase loads what size would you run.

wmeek

Occupation
Electrician
The calculated load is 148A . All loads are three phase. Just thinking for future what size could be run.

wmeek

Occupation
Electrician
So as long as its equal to or larger than a #6 thhn it would be find. this ia far a 200A panel

wmeek

Occupation
Electrician
Probally it would be a good idea to run a 3/0 for the neutral for future ,that way it would be covered most likely.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Probally it would be a good idea to run a 3/0 for the neutral for future ,that way it would be covered most likely.
If your load on the panel has 148 amps of 3 phase loads why do you think a 3/0 is necessary- you will never have 200 amps on it.

You have 52 amps left on that feeder so I see no reason for 3/0. To your question #6 is all you need

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Maybe he is expecting non-linear loads?

If that was part of the question it could be addressed but even so unless the entire 52 amps were filled with non linear loads it probably would still be okay with a #6 assuming a fairly balanced load. Is that not correct?

I am not sure how you would size for non linear loads on the neutral. Certainly 3/0 is not necessary with the given situation.

Barndog

If your load on the panel has 148 amps of 3 phase loads why do you think a 3/0 is necessary- you will never have 200 amps on it.

You have 52 amps left on that feeder so I see no reason for 3/0. To your question #6 is all you need

I agree you only have 52 amps left if you max out your panel. so even if you put all your non linear loads on one phase you would only have 52 amps on your neutral. so as Dennis said #6 should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.