8 pin relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlennG

I am trying to work on a homework assignment for my motor control class and i am getting a little confused. Using 3 TR i need to control a sequence of 3 lights turning on and off. they are initiated by a momentary switch. basically its a traffic light setup. Unfortunately i don't have a diagram to post but the terminals are as follows:
7/2 - input
8/1 - commons
8/5, 1/4 - N.C.
8/6, 1,3 - N.O.

My question is do i need to put a jumper between the power and the commons or is that jumped out in the relay?

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated, i want to have a better idea of how to do this before my next class.

thanks, Glenn

xformer

Occupation
Master Electrician
I am trying to work on a homework assignment for my motor control class and i am getting a little confused. Using 3 TR i need to control a sequence of 3 lights turning on and off. they are initiated by a momentary switch. basically its a traffic light setup. Unfortunately i don't have a diagram to post but the terminals are as follows:
7/2 - input
8/1 - commons
8/5, 1/4 - N.C.
8/6, 1,3 - N.O.

My question is do i need to put a jumper between the power and the commons or is that jumped out in the relay?

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated, i want to have a better idea of how to do this before my next class.

thanks, Glenn
What are 3TR's??

yanici

Occupation
Old Retired Master/Journeyman Electrician
What you have is a relay that is two-pole, double throw.

Terminals 2 and 7 will go to the coil to pull the relay in when energized.

8 is a common and makes to 5 when the coil is deenergized. 8 will break to 5 and make to 6 when coil is energized.

1 is a common and makes to 4 when the coil is denergized. 1 will break to 4 and make to 3 when coil is energized.

I hope that is clear. The coil will magnetically pull the relay in when power is applied to 2 and 7.

The contacts 8-5-6 and 1-4-3 are dry contacts and are totally independent from 2 and 7. Therefore they will need power to be supplied to them in order to have something to switch.

Last edited:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I am trying to work on a homework assignment for my motor control class and i am getting a little confused. Using 3 TR i need to control a sequence of 3 lights turning on and off. they are initiated by a momentary switch. basically its a traffic light setup.]

Does the relay latch when you push the momentary switch? Is there a delay timer on the relay?
Yanci's answer sounds right, I just had a question about your set up. I work on several controllers/relays that sound similar to yours.

Never mind, I just read the title of your post and saw it was a pin/plug in relay.

Last edited:

GlennG

What you have is a relay that is two-pole, double throw.

Terminals 2 and 7 will go to the coil to pull the relay in when energized.

8 is a common and makes to 5 when the coil is deenergized. 8 will break to 5 and make to 6 when coil is energized.

1 is a common and makes to 4 when the coil is denergized. 1 will break to 4 and make to 3 when coil is energized.

I hope that is clear. The coil will magnetically pull the relay in when power is applied to 2 and 7.

The contacts 8-5-6 and 1-4-3 are dry contacts and are totally independent from 2 and 7. Therefore they will need power to be supplied to them in order to have something to switch.

thanks for all the quick responses! Your explanation was helpful, i am clear about how the relay switches back and fourth between n.o, and n.c. i just wasnt sure if i physically needed a wire jumped out to power the common terminals, your response cleared that up for me though. Now I have a better grasp on how i will draw this diagram. thanks to all! -Glenn

gar

Occupation
EE
110125-2250 EST

GlennG:

You need an understanding of whatever devices you are going to use before you can design or analyze a circuit.

You used the term relay as a singular device. Normally a relay of an electromagnetic variety would imply a device with a single coil, a magnetic circuit, a moving armature connected to some contacts. This would have two possible states. Assuming this is what you are working with, then at most you could toggle between two states. This won't provide sequential control of three lights.

Is this relay thing something more than what I described? In other words is it some small computer controlled device with three separate SPST outputs, minimum required for these three outputs is 4 pins, but one pin could also be for the power to operate this device. Then a common power pin would be needed and a separate trigger input pin. At a minimum this sequential control device could be created using 6 pins.

So what is the real statement of your class problem. There needs to be more information.

Status
Not open for further replies.