need help identifying a switch . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
any idea where i can find a replacement?

:D

IMG00103-20110122-1517.jpg

went to a 'living' agricultural museum up the road from the new town we moved to and spotted this.

here's a few more.

IMG00099-20110122-1517.jpg

IMG00100-20110122-1517.jpg

all of the buildings have telephones like the one picture below; they are all connected to an original switchboard located in the "newspaper building", and all are in operating order. the guide of the newspaper building has to connect the calls between each building.

IMG00105-20110122-1535.jpg

here is a closeup of the cat5e wiring used to connect one of the phones in a house. not so original! upon further review, i just noticed the thermostat next to the phone in the picture above. it was dark in the room when i took the picture, and i never saw it until now.

IMG00104-20110122-1535.jpg

here is a link to the museum

http://www.abac.edu/museum/

dbuckley

Knife switches thta are both listed and "comply with all requirements of the National Electric Code"

Wow.

I had to download their catalog and just drool... Mind you , I don't fancy opening a knife switch with a few thousand amps at 600V going through it...

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Amazing. I wouldn't want to use them either.

I've seen very few knife blade switches in the field, occasionally on some old eqpmt. I used to see a fair number of them in science classes, mostly on battery powered ckts.

I did a service change for a customer with some funky looking panels & switches from the early 20's. He asked me to leave the old stuff up for looks. I did & inspector only checked to make sure nothing was still live in them. They were on another wall from the new eqpmt too, so no chance of confusion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.