Illustrations for classes

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireguy8169

Hello,

I just started teaching a code course at the local community college, I want to find some illustrations to put in my powerpoint but do not want to violate copyright, anyone know of a good source(s) that are able to be used with out any legal issues?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Mike Holt has lots of graphic on his web site under free stuff. I bet if you write him he would be happy for you to use them for teaching.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Mike Holts graphics are now only available if you purchase a minimum quanity of books. There may be some available for free, not sure as I get the entire PP presentation from him.

wireguy8169

Thanks for the info, I did find that I can get some graphics and permission on MH site even though they are mostly past code cycles some are not so specific or have not changed so they will work.

Thanks again

mlnk

Our JC lawyer said we could quote any source and use any photos because it is not for profit and we do not print up an unreasonable amount of copied material..of course we need to reference the source.

gndrod

Author response

Author response

Our JC lawyer said we could quote any source and use any photos because it is not for profit and we do not print up an unreasonable amount of copied material..of course we need to reference the source.

I would be careful with the lawyers advice with the definition of unreasonable amount. Experience in allowing material replication can get out of hand. "All Rights Reserved" comes with written permission from the legal copyright holder that can involve the author's permission along with the publisher's consent.

I found that when my electrical books were sold including a PowerPoint, the user (instructor) would revise the PowerPoint image and then distribute copies to the class instead of requiring the book as a reference in the course.

I no longer sell PowerPoint CD's or include them with a purchased book for that reason. Short reference quotations in critical articles or reviews are the only areas of exception that are acceptable in any books I produce.

Status
Not open for further replies.