Why are the grounding conductors visible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Ask the homeowner. Looks like he/she picked up a ground for something else. Is the house old with no grounds? Why it is outside the box -- I don't know.

tonype

Ask the homeowner. Looks like he/she picked up a ground for something else. Is the house old with no grounds? Why it is outside the box -- I don't know.

This portion of the home was supposed built c. 1979, so not that old. Unfortunately, present owner was only there a couple of years and has no idea when stuff was installed.

tonype

Are all the grounds spliced together? The reason I ask is because I have seen many ground wires treated like they serve no purpose. That would still not answer why they are outside the JB.

Hard to tell with all the insulation and limited access. I'm just going to flag it as a concern and refer client to a licensed electrical contractor for further analysis.

paul

I did a trouble call on an apartment complex that was wired in the late 50's. All the grounds are made up on the back side of the boxes. I think they just didn't know what to do with that new, strange, bare conductor. So they got it the heck out of their electrical boxes.

That's about all I can figure. ;)

growler

High-hat wiring - is there any explanation why the grounding wires are visible - homeowner installation?http://

I find that due to lack of training many homeowners like to be creative when doing an install. Some actually think they are doing a better than standard job.

Try to re-invent the wheel so to speak.

We electricians can do the same job over and over a thousand times and do it just as we have been trained.

Status
Not open for further replies.