DB compression couplings for RMC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
I'm searching for the above and have found rain tight, wet location, concrete tight, ect... Anyone know if compression couplings can be used underground?

Thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Are you talking emt or rigid. It seems if emt is allowed underground then the wet location or water tight fitting would be compliant. I can't imagine there is no fitting for underground use on rigid -- threadless couplings??? Then seal it with a waterproofing. :)

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
I would assume the same, but whos da judge?

344.10(B)(1) Galvanized Steel, Stainless Steel, and Red Brass RMC, Elbows, Couplings, and Fittings. Galvanized steel, stainless steel, and red brass RMC elbows, couplings, and fittings shall be permitted to be installed in concrete, in direct contact with the earth, or in areas subject to severe corrosive influences where protected by corrosion protection and judged suitable for the condition.

jumper

"344.6 and 344.10(B) makes 'em all legal for direct bury," says judge Roy Bean.

Your Honor, I object.:cool:

I submit the following: UL listing

It states that "Threadless conduit fittings suitable for use in concrete or where exposed to the weather are identified by a marking on the carton."

No mention of of direct burial. So lack of direct approval could be a violation.

344.6 Listing Requirements. RMC, factory elbows and
couplings, and associated fittings shall be listed.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Are you talking emt or rigid. It seems if emt is allowed underground then the wet location or water tight fitting would be compliant. I can't imagine there is no fitting for underground use on rigid -- threadless couplings??? Then seal it with a waterproofing. :)

If rigid, check the fittings before you buy, if possible. I've found a lot of rigid compression fittings do not tighten down well on the conduit. If you find a good fitting, try to stay with that brand. Also, if used on threads, it has to be labeled for use on threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.