When to use expansion couplings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Are you asking about expansion coupling for rigid steel or for PVC conduits ?
I believe steel expansion couplings are most often used in conjunction with building expansion joints or other structures like bridges, or as you mention, on fairly long runs..
PVC expansion joints are used considerably more often do the expansion of PVC conduit.

This link will provide with some idea of the expansion of steel conduit:
http://www.steelconduit.org/pdf/Co-Efficient%20Expansion.pdf

Last edited:

Eddy Current

352.44 for RNC

If you don't overfill the pipe there shouldn't be any thermal expansion right, or are they talking about external environmental weather conditions? I cant think of any situation that would cause a pipe to move an 1/4 of an inch besides maybe an earthquake. I thought there was a code that stated how often to put a junction box, if so there shouldn't be any long runs of pipe requiring an expansion coupling.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
PVC expands and contracts rather rapidly with temperature change.

Table 352.44 tells us how much change in length to expect for a given change of temperature.

Notice in the first row of the table that only a 5 degree change of temperature will make .20 inches of length change in 100 feet of raceway.

Now put the raceway in a place that is subject to 140 degrees from the coldest and hottest temperatures it is likely to encounter and it will change length 5.68 inches in 100 feet from one extreme to the other. That is .568 inches change in 10 feet - a little over double the .25 requirement maximum amount of change allowed without an expansion device. Even 5 feet of raceway at this temperature change will require an expansion fitting.

140 degree change is not that uncommon in central and northern states.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If you don't overfill the pipe there shouldn't be any thermal expansion right, or are they talking about external environmental weather conditions? I cant think of any situation that would cause a pipe to move an 1/4 of an inch besides maybe an earthquake. I thought there was a code that stated how often to put a junction box, if so there shouldn't be any long runs of pipe requiring an expansion coupling.

What does pipe fill have to do with expansion. It has to do with temp change.

BTW there is no code on distance a raceway is limited to.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician

We've wired some long dairy barns, anywhere from 1100-2300' long steel buildings using EMT. The buildings have expansion joints every 2-300 feet or so. If you don't also install expansion joints/flex you will crush any boxes you may have in that run of conduit nearest their expansion joint. Don't ask me how I know this...:roll:

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
We've wired some long dairy barns, anywhere from 1100-2300' long steel buildings using EMT. The buildings have expansion joints every 2-300 feet or so. If you don't also install expansion joints/flex you will crush any boxes you may have in that run of conduit nearest their expansion joint. Don't ask me how I know this...:roll:

i've seen it pull right out the set screw couplings and shear strap screws off.

don't skimp on expansion joints or you'll have a lot of work to redo.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I was at a plant once where thermal expansion of a rigid run that was bolted to the side of a building had actually pulled a brick out of the wall a couple of inches. Pretty impressive.

The same plant had another spot where someone had run a piece of rigid that was run through the end of a building and cemented in place. The pipe expanded and pushed a chunk of concrete that was maybe a couple feet in diameter about an inch.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.

Quarter mile is the longest I've ever went without a box. Per code, there is no call-out on the boxes...However a lot of job spec's will have call outs in them!

Doing it cheap, isn't necessarily right... but doing it right will be cheap in the long run...

kwired

Electron manager
I was at a plant once where thermal expansion of a rigid run that was bolted to the side of a building had actually pulled a brick out of the wall a couple of inches. Pretty impressive.

The same plant had another spot where someone had run a piece of rigid that was run through the end of a building and cemented in place. The pipe expanded and pushed a chunk of concrete that was maybe a couple feet in diameter about an inch.

What moved the RMC or what it was attached to?

tkb

Please elaborate on this.

20090406havel3.jpg

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Fitter/plumber pipes are supposed to be dynamic, ours are supposed to be static. Someone forgot to tell reality the rules!

Don't forget about using an expansion coupling when exiting grade to allow for frost heaving and setttling of uncompacted fill. In my neck of the woods this is probably more important than using for thermal expansion. In this application you would strap the top of the expansion coupling and let everything below it float. A while back Mike sent out a newsletter with 10 of the most common code violations and non-use, or mis-use of expansion couplings was on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.