PV line side disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpd

looking for some opinions, thanks in advance,

230.40 exc. 5 permits a second of service entrance conductors to supply supply systems covered in 230.82 (6) (PV systems)

230.71 (A) permits the service disconnecting for each set of service entrance conductors permitted by 230.40 exc. 5 (PV systems)

would it be permitted to tap the line side of the service disconnecting means and have up to six service disconnects for the PV service entrance conductors & the house service entrance conductors at different locations, but the service disconnects for each service entrance would be grouped or must the PV service disconnect & house service disconnect be grouped at the same location

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
To me, 230.71 would allow (6) disconnects for the utility and (6) for the PV system and each set must be grouped.
Before I would attempt such, I would discuss it with the AHJ... obviously my view is just one man's opinion

mpd

To me, 230.71 would allow (6) disconnects for the utility and (6) for the PV system and each set must be grouped.
Before I would attempt such, I would discuss it with the AHJ... obviously my view is just one man's opinion

that is how i am reading it, the more i read it, seems clear that 6 could be in one location & 6 in another location and the grouping only applies to each set of service entrance conductors, 9 out 10 PV systems i see are line side connection and most are grouped with the existing service disconnect because that is where the tap is made to the line side but does not seem to be a code requirement, thanks for the response

Status
Not open for further replies.