Setting up a 2000a service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electron_Sam78

If you were setting up a 2000A service how would you do it? What equipment would you use? I've ever only installed up to 600a services so something this large is new to me. Is it practical to to use a safety switch that big? Do they even make one that big? From the transformer I imagine it would be metering equipment, disconnect, and distribution center.

This will be outside serving a recreation area. There are two separate areas so this could be split into two 1000A services.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
Work like this is usually handled by an EE.

There are a 1000 ways to do it and a 1000 reasons why one may or may not be better than the other.

What are you powering, could you get by with say six 400 amp feeders or a combination of feeders under 800 amps?

If so a 2000 amp MLO panel board with up to six breakers might be the least expensive option.

Electron_Sam78

I'm feeding several different things: a stage, a large picnic shelter, a bathroom building, RV pedestal circuits, Hubbell spider receptacles. I could split all that up into a 1000a, 600, 200, 150, and a 100. Are you talking about making each of those a service DC?

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I agree with Bob on his points.,
Getting an EE involved might be advisable from many aspects. The EE's experience and knowledge might prevent a costly mistake.
There are many ways to approach the project.

I did want to add that on services this large, the available fault current and your methods of addressing it are a major factor which will affect how you
design the service(s) and the cost.
One of your 1st steps should be obtaining the available fault current from POCO.

kwired

Electron manager
Getting an EE involved might be advisable from many aspects. The EE's experience and knowledge might prevent a costly mistake.

I did want to add that on services this large, the available fault current and your methods of addressing it are a major factor which will affect how you
One of your 1st steps should be obtaining the available fault current from POCO.

And before they can give you that they may want to know how much load they are supplying so they know what transformer they are going to use.

cdslotz

Did someone just hand you this job with no design and say, "give me a price?"
Or did someone just hand this to you and say "go do it?"

In other words, do you have this job design/build or are you just bidding?

fridaymean

As stated above, most services over a certain sized, must have engineer stamped drawings submitted with the permit app. Obviously this will vary between jurisdictions.

From a liability standpoint, it may serve you well to involve an engineer. Or, mention to the owner you need them to hire an engineer.

Otherwise, if you need to D/B a service, you could involve a distributor/manufacturers rep from the get go.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
You didn?t mention voltage levels, so I infer you are dealing with 120/208 all the way (i.e., no 480 volt motors or 277 volt site lighting). If that is not correct, then it changes things a great deal.

My inclination would be to go with a single service switchboard rated for the total load (did you do a load calculation, by the way?) and for the available fault current. I would put it and the service transformer on a concrete pad within a fenced perimeter, to keep the public away. I would have individual feeders serving small branch panels in each key location (e.g., the stage, the bathroom, etc.). If the two areas are some distance apart from each other, I might consider putting in a distribution panel in the second area That would allow the voltage drop to that location to be minimized by judicious selection of the feeder size.

cdslotz

Well if I was just bidding this job, I would lay it out on some type of drawing, in this case it may just be an overall site drawing. But if it was to scale, that's good enough. Usually we at least have a written design narrative, such as service size, voltage, loads, restroom, concession, Lighting, RV requirements, HVAC, equipment, etc.
First thing is to determine service delivery from POCO. Sounds like the property might be big enough to have (2) 1000A services. Also, what voltage they can deliver.
I would lay out loads downstream to upstream, determine a service layout ( a lot of good advice already given here), send out quotes on fixtures, gear, takeoff and input the job.
When I final price the job, I would add fees for Engineer's stamp and drawings
My proposal would detail EXACTLY what I include and exclude. I might include a riser diagram with my proposal.
Done.
Go to the next one

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
5kv switch, xformer,MDP,subpanels, could use alot more info.
Overhead, underground, out doors,indoors?

Electron_Sam78

I have now requested to get an EE involved with the design of the service. Since I work for an Engineering organization it shouldn't be a problem

And before they can give you that they may want to know how much load they are supplying so they know what transformer they are going to use.

I have done a load calc. - original plan comes in a couple hundred amps under 2k but now the scope has changed and it is a little under 1200a and only serving one area.

Did someone just hand you this job with no design and say, "give me a price?"
Or did someone just hand this to you and say "go do it?"

In other words, do you have this job design/build or are you just bidding?

Yes on the pricing so I need a rough design idea to get a price estimate.

As stated above, most services over a certain sized, must have engineer stamped drawings submitted with the permit app. Obviously this will vary between jurisdictions.

From a liability standpoint, it may serve you well to involve an engineer. Or, mention to the owner you need them to hire an engineer.

Otherwise, if you need to D/B a service, you could involve a distributor/manufacturers rep from the get go.

We (our organization) happen to be our own AHJ. Today I have submitted equipment for a price quote. The job has changed in scope a little since my OP. It now calculates to just under 1200 amps total - one service for one area

You didn?t mention voltage levels, so I infer you are dealing with 120/208 all the way (i.e., no 480 volt motors or 277 volt site lighting). If that is not correct, then it changes things a great deal.

My inclination would be to go with a single service switchboard rated for the total load (did you do a load calculation, by the way?) and for the available fault current. I would put it and the service transformer on a concrete pad within a fenced perimeter, to keep the public away. I would have individual feeders serving small branch panels in each key location (e.g., the stage, the bathroom, etc.). If the two areas are some distance apart from each other, I might consider putting in a distribution panel in the second area That would allow the voltage drop to that location to be minimized by judicious selection of the feeder size.

the voltage is 240/120V single phase. Is a switchboard different than a safety switch? Forgive my ignorance but this large scale equipment is new ground for me.

Yes I am planning on a few sub-panels. I was thinking for the service, now that the scope has changed, about a 1200a Switch feeding a 1200a MDP with Main CB.

5kv switch, xformer,MDP,subpanels, could use alot more info.
Overhead, underground, out doors,indoors?

This is outdoor equipment and will be fed from underground

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
You might save some $$ by going to a MLO main panel and stick to the 6 disconnect rule.
You need to get an idea as to the AIC and make a determination as to how you will address that. Often that decision will involve fuses as a current limiting device.

Electron_Sam78

a possibility but I'd rather have a switch before the MDP so it can be shut off entirely to change or add a breaker without having to involve the power company.

Status
Not open for further replies.