arc fault vs arc fault combo breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodneee

i am getting different advice on where arc fault COMBO breakers should be used and where STANDARD arc fault breakers should be used relating to new home construction...different inspectors have been making different rulings causing me several call-backs...i have been doing what they ask but i am not sure if what they are asking is correct...if you know the correct application please let me know...thank you...

raider1

Staff member
I agree with 480.

Combination arc fault breakers have been required since January 1st 2008.

The "Standard" arc fault breakers were called branch/feeder type arc fault breakers.

Keep in mind that Combination type AFCI breakers are not a combination of GFCI and AFCI protection. The Combination type AFCI breaker combines both parallel arc protection and series arc protection. The old branch/feeder type AFCI protection only provided protection for parallel arcs and did not provide protection for a series arc.

Chris

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
i am getting different advice on where arc fault COMBO breakers should be used and where STANDARD arc fault breakers should be used relating to new home construction....
I am not sure I understand your question. When you say "STANDARD arc fault breaker", do you mean a breaker without a "test" button on it, that is, a simple $4 single pole overcurrent / short circuit protective circuit breaker?

It seems you are asking what rooms and areas of a dwelling does 210.12 require the combination type AFCI to be installed for. Yes?

480sparky

I am not sure I understand your question. When you say "STANDARD arc fault breaker", do you mean a breaker without a "test" button on it, that is, a simple $4 single pole overcurrent / short circuit protective circuit breaker?

It seems you are asking what rooms and areas of a dwelling does 210.12 require the combination type AFCI to be installed for. Yes?

Al, the old AFCI breakers, when they first came out, are not 'combination' type, as Chris explained. They only detected parallel faults. A "Combo" AFCI detects both parallel and series faults.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Al, the old AFCI breakers, when they first came out, are not 'combination' type, as Chris explained. They only detected parallel faults. A "Combo" AFCI detects both parallel and series faults.
Yes, I know of the two types of AFCI:
  1. Branch Feeder type
  2. Combination type
Rodnee isn't specifically using those two terms. If, to Rodnee, branch feeder = standard, then I will understand his question as you took it to be. However, I suspect the real question is about discerning which type of protection ( AFCI or not AFCI ) is required for each specific area or room of a dwelling.

Turning the question back to you, Ken, what Code requires the Branch Feeder AFCI in some areas of a dwelling, and Combination AFCI in others? Local code, maybe . . . I've not heard of it yet, myself.

growler

i am getting different advice on where arc fault COMBO breakers should be used and where STANDARD arc fault breakers should be used relating to new home construction...different inspectors have been making different rulings.

Where are you located, that may help a little in answering your question.

rodneee

to clarify

to clarify

i am getting different advice on where arc fault COMBO breakers should be used and where STANDARD arc fault breakers should be used relating to new home construction...different inspectors have been making different rulings causing me several call-backs...i have been doing what they ask but i am not sure if what they are asking is correct...if you know the correct application please let me know...thank you...

in my original post when i say "STANDARD" i refer to a cutler hammer CH115AF...when i say "COMBO" i refer to a cutler hammer CH115CAF.(sorry if the terminology was wrong)...my confusion is as follows: one jobsite, the inspector wants CH115AF for the bedrooms only...another jobsite, the inspector wants CH115CAF for the bedrooms only...another jobsite, the inspector wants CH115CAF for the bedrooms and CH115AF for the rest of the house...another jobsite, the inspector the same thing, but gives me a list of rooms to be excluded ie garage, laundry room, unfinished basement and more etc...the list goes on... we work in 40 +/- jurisdictions many with building inspectors wearing many hats including electrical...

480sparky

If the AHJs are using the NEC, it requires combos all the way around.

Sounds like your inspectors need a bit o' education.

Run through 210.12 and all will make sense.

Finite10

in my original post when i say "STANDARD" i refer to a cutler hammer CH115AF...when i say "COMBO" i refer to a cutler hammer CH115CAF.(sorry if the terminology was wrong)...my confusion is as follows: one jobsite, the inspector wants CH115AF for the bedrooms only...another jobsite, the inspector wants CH115CAF for the bedrooms only...another jobsite, the inspector wants CH115CAF for the bedrooms and CH115AF for the rest of the house...another jobsite, the inspector the same thing, but gives me a list of rooms to be excluded ie garage, laundry room, unfinished basement and more etc...the list goes on... we work in 40 +/- jurisdictions many with building inspectors wearing many hats including electrical...

Main city or cities? We have WAC rules for the state which supercede the NEC, and then city codes superceding WAC rules. It takes some digging into the WAC/RCW sometimes around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.